Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round two

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round two

Old Flo the hurricane came thru here and didnt so much as make our power flicker, but Mike, that was a different story. We lost power yesterday about 4:30, and they are saying it could be 4 days before everyone gets their power back on (our electric company says about 70% of their customers are without power.) The remnants of the eye came right over top of us, and the back eye wall was collapsing, so there were some strong winds which knocked a lot of trees down. We got just over 3 inches of rain on top of still pretty wet ground, so it didnt take much for trees to fall over. And of course, a lot of those trees took power lines with them, including one that feeds us somewhere down the line. I got the generator out and running, so we have some stuff running, but no running water or AC. Luckily it's only supposed to get around 70 today and got down in to the low 50s last night, so no AC isnt a huge issue right now.
    KK had been running errands, and on her way home every route was blocked by a fallen tree. She finally got to within about 1.5 miles of the house and pulled in a neighbor's drive and I fired up the dually, grabbed a big log chain, my chainsaw and headed that way. I figured if I got there before the tree removal folks I would at least clear one lane. I got there about 5 minutes after them, so KK left her car in the drive, walked around the back side of the fallen tree, and we went home.
    I've been outside with the dogs several times, and other than a lot of small limbs, it doesnt look like we lost any trees or sustained any damage. The neighbor across the road from us lost a HUGE oak tree, and it had blocked part of the road for awhile.
    Hopefully it wont take four days to get our power back. We still have plenty of drinking water, but I didnt capture near as much toilet flushing water from the rain as I normally would, and we dont have near as much quick to fix stuff to eat in the house.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

That stinks, stay safe.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

glad you guys are ok, hope the electric comes back soon for you.

Keith
      34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Hope it gets better for you soon. I'm far enough north and west that we didn't even get a shower off of it, only some low clouds. Then we had a dry cold front come through, they were calling for 1/2" TO 1" of rain, we barely got a shower out of that, so still bone dry here. Guess I'll have to put water in my post holes when I drill them tomorrow so I won't be drilling dust.....
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Thanks. Still no power, but it sure is nice outside. Too bad I dont want to do anything outside for fear of needing a shower afterwords, that requires running water. LOL
          Hopefully tomorrow we will get the power back.
          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Power came back on about 8 pm.
            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
              .....Mike, that was a different story. We lost power yesterday about 4:30, and they are saying it could be 4 days before everyone gets their power back on..... I got the generator out and running, so we have some stuff running, but no running water or AC.
              Why is that - won't your generator run your water well pump?

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post

Why is that - won't your generator run your water well pump?

Ryan
                Probably on city water
                ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

We're on a well and I dont have any way to plug the well in to the generator. The well runs on 240. The generator has a couple of 240 outlets, but I dont have a way to plug in to them.
                  Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

KV,
                    I usually don't run our generator unless the power has been off for over 5 hours. I don't want to leave the frig or freezer off for too long. So, I flip off the incoming main power breaker at the top of the breaker box. That disconnects us from the grid. I then unplug the buzz box welder. I built a heavy 240V cord with two male ends. I plug one end into the generator and the other end into the recepticle where I had the welder plugged in. Start the generator, and now you will back feed power into your house circuit ONLY. Depending on the size of your generator, will determine what you can run. Ours is a used-but-good 7500V generator. I think it will run nearly everything we have - including the water well pump. Our hot water heater,furnace and cooking stove/oven are gas-fired, so no problems there. The big power draws are the coffee maker, the microwave oven and the water pump. Because the generator is an older unit, it doesn't make 'clean' power, so we don't operate the computer or the flat-screen TV. (Here is why: https://whatis.techtarget.com/defini...an-electricity ). I know they make 'clean' generators, but I won't pay that much for a generator. Most all of what we run is fine without it.

The only downfall with this setup is I don't know when the utilitiy power comes back on again. As I said earlier, we usually wait about 5 hours before switching over to the generator power. Then we'll run it for two/three hours to allow the frig/freezer to get cold again, flush the toilet, wash some dishes, play the radio to catch the current news, weather, etc. then turn the generator back off - to conserve fuel. During this down time, I refill the fuel tank on the generator, unplug it from the welder plug, flip on the main breaker and see if the power is back on or not. I leave the main breaker on, with at least one light on, so I will know when it comes back on. If another few hours pass without power returning or I want power NOW, then I'll flip the main breaker back off again, re-plug in the generator cord to the welder plug and run the generator some more.....

We loose power at least once or twice a year, usually not lasting more than a day or so. I have been using the above practice without issue for years. YMMV.

Using this technique, the thing to remember is not to start the generator with the main breaker ON, because in doing so, your generator will try to power up the utility line, possibly electrifying a repairman who may be just down the road.

Ryan
                    Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Mine isnt a clean power generator either as it is pretty old, but runs like a champ so I have no desire to replace it. It's a 6800, so it's big enough to run most of our small house, especially since the water heater and stove are gas. Even though it's not "clean", I still plug the flat screen and computers in to it.
                      But the problem lies in the fact the only 240 outlet we have is for the dryer, and I cant get to it with the generator. I cant even get close enough to run a drop chord to it that would be less than 50 ft long, and I would be afraid of how much voltage it would lose at that distance.
                      Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                      X