Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your opinion, please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinion, please

The hosting site that houses this board just added a new feature, optional machine learning, otherwise known as artificial intelligence. It’s something I would have to turn on, and once it is working it would analyze our posts and the topics we look at, then recommend other sites for us to look at, based on what the algorithm turns up.

My opinion of this is “Oh, hell no!”

I feel like we’re all perfectly capable of deciding what we want to look at by our selves for one thing, and secondly what other purpose would a machine have other than to herd us towards something that somebody else wants. Since we started this site almost twenty years ago I have fiercely protected us from flamers and scammers the best I could, and with the help of Mustang Mike we’ve fought against bots from google, China, Russia, and other evil people the best we could. We don’t have many new people join us, mainly because I require everyone to contact me personally in order to be registered, and that doesn’t happen often, because Facebook and other forms of social media are like the town whore that lets anyone ride. They harvest data from their members, we never will.

So if you hear of other boards that use the new machine learning programs, and you wonder why we don’t that’s my reasoning.

Am I wrong, or too old fashioned and out of date?
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

I`m with you Steve. I dont need help looking for something & if I do I can ask here, usually someone here has the info.

Keith
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

I'm definitely with you. If you go along with that crap, the next thing you know there will be pop up ads all over the place. It's nuts how if you look up something like tractors or whatever, you'll see ads for tractors all over your page. I try to stay as low profile as possible and stay away from places like Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by afret View Post
        I'm definitely with you. If you go along with that crap, the next thing you know there will be pop up ads all over the place. It's nuts how if you look up something like tractors or whatever, you'll see ads for tractors all over your page. I try to stay as low profile as possible and stay away from places like Facebook.
        Dittos! I hate the way data miners collect your data then use them against you in the form of pop up ads! When I quit looking at something, I’m through with it for the time being, I don’t want to see more pop ups and ads. I run an ad blocker program that gets most of them, but some still slip through. And a lot of those ads have hidden links embedded that carry you to some scammers site. Wife clicked on something about dogs on FB, locked the screen and claimed to be Microsoft, gave her a number to call to get it unlocked. Ransom ware. She called the number and talked to some thick tongued foreigner she couldn’t half understand, he wanted her personal info. He even gave her another number, a fellow scammer I’m sure. She told him she didn’t feel comfortable giving info out over the phone, I’ve taught her well! Anyways, she kept punching the escape button until the page minimized, then she quickly closed it. No problems! I ran my cleaner and antivirus programs when I got home to be sure everything was ok, it was. It could have been bad if the stupid scammer had of actually figured out how to lock the machine, luckily it was just the browser that got locked.
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I’m glad we’re on the same page. For years, I have been able to set this thing so it would automatically be linked to members if they had a Facebook or Twitter account, and I also rejected that. Things seem to be getting too intrusive these days, in my opinion. Freedoms are being attacked everywhere.

I’m sure you’ve noticed we don’t have pop-up ads here, just the two sponsors up above, sort of like the painted ads on the side of drag strips. I’m constantly getting bugged by all sorts of different people to ‘monetize’ the site.

Comment

My ABP would block any ads anyway! I'd see them on my phone and Ipad though, haven't put ABP on them yet.
            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
            -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I agree too for what it's worth. I always turn that crap off. Stay out of my business!
              It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
              '66 Coupe C code
              '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

JMHO but...................................NO!
                1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Great, I’m glad we’re all on the same page.

You gotta ask, who the hell goes for this stuff, anyway?

Comment

Working...
                  X