Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of those "I don't give a" days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of those "I don't give a" days

Yesterday was one of those "I don't give a fxxx" days. Morning started out pretty cool, and Arthur was visiting my joints, so I stuck close to a heater until mid day. After lunch, I decided to try to make use of the last day of DST. Still waiting on my cousin to get my steel for the carport up here, so nothing I could do there. Figured I'd mess with my old tractor which I haven't used since last fall. The bush hog is on my Pa in law's 8N, so I haven't even cranked mine in a long time. Put a battery on that I thought was hot, supposed to be since I had it on the charger two weeks ago, click was all I could get out of it. The starter solenoid, a Ford unit, mounts on the side of the starter and gets rained on, the hot terminal was rusted. Took off the cable, cleaned it at the battery end, started cleaning the starter lug, it was just simply too rusty to deal with. Decided it was better to cut it off and replace the end. Cut it off, then couldn't find a terminal end, apparently I had used my last one on the Lincoln building those cables and never bought any more. Couldn't even find a piece of copper pipe to make one out of. Found a old copper exhaust manifold gasket, cut and doubled it, and beat it on the cable. Made a good connection, but still nothing but a click. Tried arcing it across the posts, nothing, not even a spark. Then tried arcing across the battery, same thing, no spark. Battery pretty much shot. Never was much good, wouldn't hold a charge over two or three weeks since new. Picked up my tools and went back in the house, pretty much disgusted. Picked up some terminal ends at WalMart last night, was going to get a battery but I forgot to take a core, so I didn't get one. Got to get one for the Lincoln anyway, I'll just get a 24F and swap it back and forth as I need it. Can't believe battery prices, same 24F cost $50 just a few years ago is now $100.

So, my last Saturday of DST was a bust. Didn't accomplish a thing. That nags me, because I know colder weather will be here before you know it,and I for sure won't get anything done. Kinda PO'ed at my cousin for not getting my steel here by now, I've lost three pretty weekends to work on it, but I guess since it's not costing me anything I can't fuss too much, I just wanted to get it up before the rainy season. Just feeling a little disgusted this morning.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

I thought I was the only one who had days like that! I'm always glad to see DST end though, I have to find different construction jobs most mornings, and it can be hard to do in the black dark. Most of my start times are 7:30, so I can see now at that time. The economy is so good and construction is so busy, I've been working more than I really want to for the past year or more. So far behind, I don't even have one piece of firewood cut yet. But the money is good, I can actually afford heating gas now!
    Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
    71 F-250 4x2
    88 F-150 4X2

Comment

I seem to have more of them the older I get. Things that were highly important before get placed farther down the list anymore, getting more rest seems more important. Maybe I’m just getting lazy, I don’t know. What I used to do all day now takes all day to do....

As to DST, I can go either way with it. I’m in the central time zone, but could have just as easily been on eastern time, it’s just how it turned out when the railroad came up with time zones. Never figured out why the central zone is so wide,from the Al-Ga line to central Tx. A good compromise would have been for us to be 30 minutes different instead of an hour. It is what it is though. When I worked a day job, I enjoyed the daylight in the evenings, now that I seem to work 24-5.5, it doesn’t matter as much. I don’t get to do anything at home through the week anymore anyway, so it’s a moot point.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Remember what one of the indians said about DST: “Only the government could cut a foot of the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and then insist we now have a longer blanket.”

DST is a push, and I don’t think it really matters, the guy that’s helped by the light arriving earlier is counterbalanced by the guy that now find himself working in the dark at the end of the day. Either guy has to pay for lighting at one part of their day.

What irks me is some wingnuts in my state want to move us one hour earlier to Atlantic Time so we’ll start our business day yet one more hour before the rest of the US, stupid for businesses having to interact with businesses and get an hour chopped off their business day.
        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
        My Sprint's restoration progress
        ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Ah yes, Atlantic time, I think a good bit of South America (Brazil) uses that. All the different time zone stuff is interesting to me, I think all of China uses one time zone. Bobby, while you're on the eastern edge of the Central zone, I'm on the western edge of the Eastern zone. That does make my area's start times darker than yours. You probably have...a half hour or so less of a daylight variation from summer to winter, than I do. Steve, you probably have a half hour or more of a variation than I do. Must be weird to live in places like Sweden or Alaska, and have almost all daylight in summer and not much at all in winter.
          Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
          71 F-250 4x2
          88 F-150 4X2

Comment

For years I went to work in the dark and came home in the dark. It makes you feel like a mole.
            '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
            My Sprint's restoration progress
            ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
              For years I went to work in the dark and came home in the dark. It makes you feel like a mole.
              I always hated that this time of year. I do a lot more night driving this time of year because of the shorter days, makes it rough when people are going home from their day jobs and you're out there fighting traffic going the opposite way staring into their bright headlights. Weekends have been my only time to get anything done around here, and with cooler temps, I don't get out of the house as early, and have to quit earlier because of darkness and again because temps start falling. Older I get, the less I can stand cold.

Comment

Working...
              X