Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is steering the ship at Ford?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is steering the ship at Ford?

V6 "Super Cars", Eco Boost trucks that get the same millage as the V8 truck but cost twice as much to repair, dropping most of the car lineup to make more little bubble SUVs, More Door Mustangs and now this?

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...et/1924303002/

My next new car will be one of the many cool versions of the Challenger or maybe the family man in me will try the Hellcat Charger, NOT a hippy Ford. At least they still make killer trucks!
    1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
    347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
    363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
    244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Old Henry would be rolling in his grave.

'70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Just bought a new car for the wife, and it was a Charger. Only competition from Ford really is the Taurus. While I liked the Taurus, it's a Grampa's car, not remotely sporty. Wife loves the Charger. First non-Ford I have purchased for us in over 25 years.
      It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
      '66 Coupe C code
      '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

I’ve questioned Ford since Bill Ford resigned. He brought back the classic Mustang and TBirds, and the street legal Ford GT, and also had a new Cobra in the design stage. The next guy screwed over the Mustang design,killed the TBird and GT, and started all this turbo V6 crap. It’s been downhill since. I’ll never buy another new vehicle, but I will probably buy a used one or two, and most of the offerings from the last 8-10 years don’t excite me much.
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by GTRocks View Post
          Just bought a new car for the wife, and it was a Charger. Only competition from Ford really is the Taurus. While I liked the Taurus, it's a Grampa's car, not remotely sporty. Wife loves the Charger. First non-Ford I have purchased for us in over 25 years.
          How is the fit and finish of the car? Would have bought one by now (or a Challenger) but I worry about their reputation of low quality and reliability. Have times changed?

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post

How is the fit and finish of the car? Would have bought one by now (or a Challenger) but I worry about their reputation of low quality and reliability. Have times changed?
            You know, looking over the new stuff I don’t know if it matters anymore. It seems like everyone is shooting for cheapest materials and highest profits, to hell with quality.

Comment

Yeah, it worries me too. Only time will tell, I guess. That dash is just a mass of plastic. For all the awards that UConnect system got, I find it inferior to my 2010 F-150 Sync system. It says it does Android Auto, but I've managed to get it work once. Seems you have to take the time to get it all set up prior to leaving the driveway. I do like the car overall. It handles well for such a big car. It's not as driver centric as the Mustangs we all love, but I can't get my head around a 4 door Mustang either. It's got 12k on it now, and I haven't had any issues other than a recall. Something to do with the cruise control, but it was easy (for me). Fit/finish seems ok if you get past the plastic. Most all cars are heavily plastic these days though. We got the 6 cyl AWD. She'll be doing winter driving, so the AWD was required. You can no longer get the AWD with a V8, so the 6 banger won out. At 300 hp, we don't really feel cheated though. It's a fun car complete with paddle shifters that are also fun, albeit still a bit laggy for my tastes. Fun nonetheless! Traded the Flex in on it which served us very well. Put nearly 150k on it and it was still running well, but nickle and diming me to death. Moonroof started leaking and that was the last straw. We really didn't need a mommy-mobile, so out it went. Taurus just isn't sporty enough.

M&M Member #33
              '66 Coupe C code
              '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Ya, it's a given that the interiors are almost all plastic now but even they seems to have a huge quality difference. The interior of my '05 Stang has that cheap, brittle plastic feel but on my F350 SD and the wifes Traverse it almost feels "softer" and "rubberier" if that's a word, lol. The V6 AWD was at the top of my list also for the winter driving but thanks to my inability to keep the '65 together for a whole season, it would be nice to have a V8 for a track day back-up car.

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

I am not worried about the new vehicles, I drive a 2000 Ranger Extd Cab 4x4 that has 152K on it that I replaced the cylinder heads 3 years ago, & just had the trans rebuilt. Being 1 year from partial retirement I probably will NOT need another vehicle. My wife Robin drives a 1999 Explorer Sport 4x4 with only 101K on it so she is probably good to go, & we have a spare vehicle a 2008 Escape 4x4 that has 106K on it, only problem is the body is starting to rust out over the rear wheels.

Mike & Robin Grentus
                  69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                  08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                  00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                  99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                  14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                  M&M Member #- 890
                  MCA #- 4549
                  My 69 Coupe build album
                  http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Pam has only put on 3600 miles on her new Edge since she got it around the end of May, so I doubt we’ll ever buy a new vehicle either. In fact, when my van gets too beat up I’ll just buy another one, probably an older one, at that.

Comment

That Ranger looks like a '01 - newer with those headlights. I take it they're aftermarket?

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

I've still got a ways to go. My youngest is a junior in HS, so in 6 years or so, I'll be trying to figure out what toy I want. I have my eye on that GT350, I have to say. I just love the stance of those. Probably won't spring for the R model. No AC and no rear seat don't attract me. That said, everytime I go watch GT350 videos, I go take a spin in the Saleen and I'm good to go again. I still love that car. Not sure I could go back to a non SC mustang after having heard that whine. Puts a smile on my face every time!

I may end up keeping the Saleen and getting another truck. My F150 has 140k on her now. Should be well over 200k by that timeframe. I seem to do about 20k/year in it.

M&M Member #33
                        '66 Coupe C code
                        '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Working...
                        X