Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updating our Mustangs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating our Mustangs

I finally decided to fully update the radio in my 2001 Saleen. I've been considering it for a while, but was waiting until Android Auto and some of the weblink stuff was mature enough. This was the year. It's pretty amazing to me how much a stereo has evolved since 2001. This car has the Mach 460 with 6 CD changer in the dash. The CD player was getting cranky, and would often fault out (CD ERROR). I was fortunate that by disconnecting the battery a bazillion times I was able to get my CDs back. Whew! The new double DIN has bluetooth, Android Auto, GPS, rear camera, hands free phone, bluetooth MP3s, and weblink. I bought it from Crutchfield on black Friday sales and as always was appreciative of their tech support. If you've never dealt with Crutchfield, I highly recommend them. Their customer service is outstanding. The agents even give you a cell number to call them back directly. I pinged them on how to connect the reverse wire from the stereo and they were even able to send me a pic from a 2001 Mustang that showed the black with pink stripe wire that I had to tap into. It was spot on too.

By the time it was done, I had completely torn apart the driver's side of the car. All the rear side panels and kick plates were removed to route the camera wires. I fished the GPS antenna and the microphone through the dash and replaced the cigarette lighter with a USB port. Pretty heavy surgery, but the result is outstanding. I was concerned that the Saleen was too loud for hands free and that someone on the other end of the phone wouldn't be able to hear me, but listeners say the supercharger comes through just fine! lol I'm really impressed with this JVC (KW-M845BW). There's a couple of pics in the 99-04 forum if you're interested.

It struck me that as I was routing all these wires, just how far technology has come. To think we didn't do rear cameras (now required), GPS was a novelty for military, and hand free was still practically in the flip phone era when this car was made is kinda funny. Now I can drive the Saleen to work without having to worry I'll miss some business calls.
    It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
    '66 Coupe C code
    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Crutchfield rocks! Also nice that they throw in adapter harness's for free saving big money as well. You're right, it's amazing how far along car stereos have come in the past few years. I pretty much demand Bluetooth on any radio now. With Spotify on the phone it's a no brainer.
    1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
    347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
    363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
    244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

While rebuilding my 69 Coupe I added a Ford AM/FM stereo & had a conversion added to it so I can play my MP-3 player which has all of my CD's on it through the stereo.

Mike & Robin Grentus
      69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
      08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
      00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
      99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
      14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
      M&M Member #- 890
      MCA #- 4549
      My 69 Coupe build album
      http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

I did the same thing to my ‘03 Mach 1 a couple of years ago....all top of the line stuff (JL Audio, Sony). I even bought a second Mach 460 trunk amp/speaker case to mount one of the two amps to, and installed all new JL speakers into (so I didn’t have to hack up my original). I even replaced the Mach 460 tweeters with JL Audio separates. I overlaid all new wire, so NONE of the original Mach 460 harnesses got cut/hacked/removed.
        I kept it so if I ever sell it, the next owner can simply reinstall all the original components in a couple of hours. My original Mach 460 CD changer was in perfect running order when removed, but let’s face it, CD’s are sooo yesterday. Hands free, touch screen, two amps, 10” in. sub. Sounds pretty decent.
        When you get a chance, post up some pics of your set up. I’d love to see.
        M&M Member #91
        Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
        US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

There are a couple of pics in the 99-04 forum. Might just be biased ears, but this thing seems to sound better too. I keep forgetting my USB-C cord to set up Android Auto. Once I get that set up, I'll really be in love. This thing does Android Auto wireless also, but my phone doesn't get that upgrade until 1/15. Counting the days.....

M&M Member #33
          '66 Coupe C code
          '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Originally posted by Mike65 View Post
            While rebuilding my 69 Coupe I added a Ford AM/FM stereo & had a conversion added to it so I can play my MP-3 player which has all of my CD's on it through the stereo.
            Nice! I remember when I updated the stereo in my '66 so I could listen to cassettes! lol

M&M Member #33
            '66 Coupe C code
            '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

I will probably do the same thing to my 2012 F250 this spring. I am sure this is my ignorance showing, but I want to make sure I get to keep the steering wheel controls.
              Rick Stevens
              Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
              - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
              - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

Originally posted by GTRocks View Post

Nice! I remember when I updated the stereo in my '66 so I could listen to cassettes! lol
                LOL I remember cassette's.
                Mike & Robin Grentus
                69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                M&M Member #- 890
                MCA #- 4549
                My 69 Coupe build album
                http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

I still have a pile of them.
                  '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                  My Sprint's restoration progress
                  ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

I bought a NOS cassette stereo for my Lincoln! Probably never use anything more than the FM though.

My factory stereo in my F150 has died. It still comes on, everything works, but it has no sound anymore. I don't care for all the new stuff, guess I'll try to find another factory unit used somewhere. I seldom turn it on anyway, all I need is a good AM/FM. I don't have any tapes or CD's.
                    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

My Dad gave me a NOS GM under dash 8 track player, still in the factory box that may end up in my Chevelle. Have a few 8 tracks but nothing good so no hurry on the install.

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                        My Dad gave me a NOS GM under dash 8 track player, still in the factory box that may end up in my Chevelle. Have a few 8 tracks but nothing good so no hurry on the install.
                        Now that you mention it......I have two cases full of old 8 tracks. Some I had back in the late 70’s, some that Bubba had bought somewhere at a yard sale or something. Don’t have a player though, and would be scared they would break if you did try to play them.
                        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Ya, not as easy to fix an 8 track as it is a cassette. I'm sure everyone remembers they 'ol pen trick if the player eats the damn thing

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

I had a buddy that had a 8 track in his ‘67 Cougar and it had a Led Zeppelin tape stuck in it and every time he drove it he had to listen to the same songs over and over until he replaced it with a cassette deck.
                            '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                            My Sprint's restoration progress
                            ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post

I all I need is a good AM/FM....
                              The problem is, around here there are no good over the air channels. Unless you like listening to the same wore out songs in between the massive amounts of commercials.

Cd's still sound better than MP3s, but at this point my hearing is so shot I dont really care any more. I do want to upgrade the speakers in my '16 and add some power. It sounds "ok" enough, it's just not loud enough. I figure I'll probably take it some place and get that done as I just dont have the desire to dig in to the interior to replace the factory speakers.

Rob Hetzler
                              M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                              Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                              X