Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trucker/trucking question...........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trucker/trucking question...........

my buddy works for a trucking outfit & told me his company is looking for another driver or 2.
    the reason is, one of their drivers was out & the dispatcher called him to let him know he had to stop & rest for 10 hours because of driving time.
    (electronic monitoring system on truck & in the office)
    the driver did stop but only for 5 hours. 100 miles from home a car cut in front of him & got caught on the bumper of the truck and the police took over.
    no ifs ands or buts, the driver was fired.

my question is...... just what are the driving times allowed , required rest time & will he be able to get another driving job ?

just curious, Thanks Keith
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Maybe, maybe not. If he does get another job it will be low paying with a small carrier.

The Elogs {electronic automatic logging} make it impossible to fudge. DOT rules now have to be followed to the letter....and second. Hours of service {HOS} time breaks down like this:

14 consecutive hour total day, of which 11 hours can be total driving time. After 8 hours on duty, must take a 30 minute break. After the 14 consecutive hours expire, you have to take a 10 consecutive hours off duty or sleeper break. You can also split the off duty time 8 and 2, but only the 8 will stop the 14 hour clock. Everything, on duty, driving, off duty or sleeper in that 14 hour period counts toward it, once you start your day, you have 14 hours to do whatever you need to do. And you have a time limit of 70 on duty hours in an 8 day period, or 60 hours in a 7 day period, which ever you work under. You can only work under one or the other. If you take 34 consecutive hours off, you get a fresh 70/60. If you don't take off, you are limited to what you did last week, each day falls off after the 8/7 day period. And if you do any work on your day off, you're supposed to log it, too. Anything like washing the truck, cleaning it out, mechanical work, all is supposed to be logged on duty. I draw the line there, I don't do it!

If this sounds complicated, it's because it is! Doing it on a paper log, you have to use a calculator to keep up with it all. With the elog, it does all the math for you, you just have to make an entry every time you change duty status. And it counts down to the second! When we first went to them, I was over 20 seconds on the 14 hours one day. While 20 seconds is nothing, it's noted as a violation anyway. The elog starts recording driving time as soon as you reach 5 mph, and every hour on the hour it automatically notes and marks your location by GPS. So, no fooling it! It's like a prisoner wearing an ankle bracelet! They {DOT} want to know exactly where you were at exactly what time of day, and what you were doing. So, your friend was in the wrong place at the wrong time, by his elog, he shouldn't have been there at that time, he should have been wherever he stopped for that 10 hour break. And since he was there, he automatically is to blame! No matter if the car hit him, he shouldn't have been there, so it isn't the cars fault anymore.

Now you see why I now hate my job! I enjoyed it for over 30 years, but now, if it's not the elog timing and tracking you, it's DOT enforcement looking over your shoulder all the time. Criminals have more rights now than do truckers! We are over regulated, treated worse than criminals, considered guilty and have to be proven innocent. I am soooooo looking forward to being able to retire in a few years, I've had a bate of it!

There are carriers that will still hire him, but insurance companies have the final say. If they refuse to insure him, he's going to have a hard time. He will be considered a high risk.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

dang , that is nasty. if you get stuck in traffic how do you ever catch up ?

Thanks Bobby
      34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

Keith

Comment

another question Bobby..... does the trucking company have any problems now because of the driver ?

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by blue34 View Post
          dang , that is nasty. if you get stuck in traffic how do you ever catch up ?

Thanks Bobby
          You don't! Any delay can screw you up. I've had to just stop because some delay used too much of my time and I wouldn't have had enough to get there. I'm lucky that I run short trips on mostly the same routes so I know how long it will generally take to get somewhere. I would hate to be one of the guys running all 48 states, I don't know how they do it. I have several places marked on my GPS that I can park at if I can't go all the way, I start with the farthest one first, then work back down the list. Any delay, a wreck, construction, a stuck red light, can cost you minutes which can be the difference in loading/unloading today or having to wait until tomorrow. I have told my regular customers there is no such thing as on time delivery anymore,maybe on Monday I can be there on time, but after that, I'll be there when I can get there by the elog.

I'm not sure what you're asking in that last post? In a general sense, drivers are always a problem. Some are good hands, some are crap. The good ones don't cause a lot of problems, but the crappy ones jump from company to company looking for that pot of gold. Did you know there is something like a 102% turnover in drivers in a year? A lot of folks are always changing companies. A lot of the blame goes back on the companies, making promises they don't keep, telling total lies, etc. In contrast, I've been with my current company 22 years, one before that 11 years, so I must be pretty easy to get along with, or too dumb to quit, lol.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Since he has experience, he might be able to land a local job. 8 to 10 straight hours of multiple local trips can get boring, (or intense, considering traffic and knee-jerk changes during the day) but local driving work doesn't require logs. Not sure if there's a specified radius. 50 miles maybe? That's about what we do in the construction dump trucks. Though we are never cross-examined about our exact radius. I've worked 60 miles from home a time or two. That can easily be more than 11 straight hours including travel time.
            Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
            71 F-250 4x2
            88 F-150 4X2

Comment

100 Air mile radius to be log exempt. I did that when I was hauling pulpwood and logs, nobody ever asked how far away we were, sometimes it was 125 miles or more from the woods to the mill. Some local stuff pays good, some pays a bit above minimum wage.

Comment

You must have seen the stories of how drivers are in demand now, Walmart said they need to hire 900 drivers alone. Is that a possibility for you? Might be a way to cruise to retirement, the younger guys arenít interested in working for a living.

https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Truc...ies-at-Walmart
                '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                My Sprint's restoration progress
                ĒMercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.Ē ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Walmart bites per my sister in law, they do NOT care about their employees from what she has told me

she restocks items/shelves on the 11 pm to 7 am shift........................

Keith

Comment

Walmart used to be THE company you wanted to drive for, but not anymore. They are heavy into liberal politics, read that heavy regulation and global warming crap. They are one of the big companies that pushed for the Elogs. They have a turnover rate now pretty much equal to the other big box truck companies. They are also pushing alternative fuels and electric vehicles.

Iíve got another year paying for this truck, donít know if Iíll buy another after this or not. If it will last a couple or three years without any major breakdowns I can then slow down, work part time, and wait on that Govt check every month. Until then though itís nose to the grindstone and ass to the wind!

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                      I've got another year paying for this truck, donít know if Iíll buy another after this or not. If it will last a couple or three years without any major breakdowns I can then slow down, work part time, and wait on that Govt check every month. Until then though itís nose to the grindstone and ass to the wind!
                      I'll be 65 this year. I like most everything about what I do, (running this tri-axle locally). In some ways it gets easier, always getting to know more and more people and habits of all the various construction companies, feeling more useful as I can sometimes help nurse along the new guys etc. but 2 things, increasing traffic and the never ending / changing politics of heavy truck ownership has had me convinced for the past couple of years to sell out at age 66, take the modest social security I have coming, and get a single axle dump and just work part time with it. But that idea changed in last couple of months!

The big L is now 31 years old, has about 810,000 miles on it. It's probably an 8 to 10 thousand dollar piece, would probably be put to use as an off-road truck only if I sold it. Been having to put money in it lately, (several thousand) and that's money that I'll never get back if I sell it. Bottom line, it's worth practically nothing to anyone but me, and I'd just be giving it away. So now the new idea is to just keep it, keep it licensed and insured just like I am now, and when I'm 66 and getting that social security, I'll tell the dispatcher that I now only run half the year, May thru October. And it can sit the rest of the year while I play in my garage, or sit in my rocking chair. The "out of service" nightmare that I sweat daily will drop off in 2020, and the traffic will be easier to deal with if I can always see that end-of-October coming. That will work until I'm 70, then I'll re-evaluate again if I'm still around, and not in a nursing home.

Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
                      71 F-250 4x2
                      88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Thatís sorta my plan Marc. Iím going to look at the figures when I turn 62, if I can Iíll do it then, if not Iíll look at 63 and so on. Working 6 months a year sounds good.

This truck is a large variable in the equation. If it lasts, the plan will work, if it doesnít, itís a lot like your dump, not worth spending the money on. Then Iíd have to trade it and get what I could on trade, and 3 years of payments. I hate payments!

Comment

My understanding of social security is that a reduced amount is available at age 62, the full amount at 66, and an even larger amount if a person waits until 70. (that's what my older brother is doing) I'd hate to find myself in my late 60's or early 70's getting that reduced age-62 amount, wishing I'd have held out to age 66. No way I'm holding out to 70 though, I've breathed a lot of paint fumes, and smoked too much tobacco in my younger days to take my mid-70's for granted. My Dad only lived to be 66, but I'm hopeful to go beyond that. Really looking forward to turning that corner!

The one thing that I'd find difficult in what you do Bobby, is being required to have a late model truck. Will you be required to update it again before you're 66? Would you consider, is it possible for you, to do some type of local work that wouldn't have that requirement? A dump trailer maybe? Just wondering, I know new trucks are nice - my dispatcher runs about 12 trucks, none of them over 3 or 4 years old. As soon as they get that old, he replaces them with new ones. Haha, my dispatcher just called me today (weather's been too brutal for much work around here lately) and asked if my truck had any leaks, got some work to do involving loading on some brand new concrete, and they couldn't get any oil stains on it. "Sorry buddy, you called the wrong guy!!"
                          Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
                          71 F-250 4x2
                          88 F-150 4X2

Comment

The amount on mine looks to be about $100 a month per year, so you're talking a $400 difference per month between 62 and 66. I'm starting to think a good balance may be around 64, $200 less than max, but that can be increased if you make more and put more in. It's a rigged system anyway, most people never get back what they pay in anyway.

As to my truck, I can run it till the cows come home, age isn't an issue. Only times age is the issue is when you lease a different one on, then it has to be within 10 years old. Not a lot of local stuff around here for a flatbed. If I went with a dump I'd have to buy a wetline kit and have it put on, and you don't see any condo's with wet kits unless they are OTR dumps like Oakley or companies like that. I'm figuring one more truck should get me where I want to be, but I sure don't look forward to continuing to make payments. Just when to make the jump and get one is the decision I have to make, I don't think it will be this year unless it's around Nov or Dec. That is, unless EXACTLY what I want at EXACTLY the right pricing comes along.......then I might do it quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                              The amount on mine looks to be about $100 a month per year, so you're talking a $400 difference per month between 62 and 66. I'm starting to think a good balance may be around 64, $200 less than max, but that can be increased if you make more and put more in. It's a rigged system anyway, most people never get back what they pay in anyway.
                              I don't remember how I figured it, but I remember coming up with myself having to make it to age 74, (if I started taking it at 66) to get everything back that I've paid in. That's with no adjustment for inflation however.

As to my truck, I can run it till the cows come home, age isn't an issue. Only times age is the issue is when you lease a different one on, then it has to be within 10 years old. Not a lot of local stuff around here for a flatbed. If I went with a dump I'd have to buy a wetline kit and have it put on, and you don't see any condo's with wet kits unless they are OTR dumps like Oakley or companies like that. I'm figuring one more truck should get me where I want to be, but I sure don't look forward to continuing to make payments. Just when to make the jump and get one is the decision I have to make, I don't think it will be this year unless it's around Nov or Dec. That is, unless EXACTLY what I want at EXACTLY the right pricing comes along.......then I might do it quicker.
                              Good luck to you! My situation is different, ever since I used that Mack CL for almost 4 years, and see how most other late model trucks are so similar to it, I don't want NOTHING but this ol Ford.

Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
                              71 F-250 4x2
                              88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Working...
                              X