Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oil change...........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil change...........

I was told when changing oil you need to shake the container of new oil so all the additives come out with the oil..............
    also you should put some in the new filter before installing it...........

do any of you do this ? really ...........

Keith
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

I've never heard of shaking the oil container. Have heard of putting some oil in the filter, but I don't bother. I believe there is enough oil sitting around in lifters and passages that nothing is going to hurt before the new oil gets up into the engine.
    Steve - M&M Member #690

1968 GT/CS California Special Candy Apple Red
    2018 Premium GT Fastback Ruby Red

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
    Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Comment

I usually put it in the paint shaker for a minimum 10 minutes. Then pre heat it to the same temp as the engine block so I donít shock the gaskets as it makes its way from the valve cover to the pan. Once the oil is properly prepííd, with careful balance, I do a hand stand while emptying the container to insure all of the bottle contents are emptied so itís clean and ready to recycle. Hope this helps..........
      1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
      347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
      363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
      244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

I can see where shaking the container may help if the oil has been in the shelf for a very long time. It would be especially important for oils containing wear additives for flat tapper cams. Those additives can and do settle out into the bottom of the oil pan.
        That being said do I shake oil before I pour it in? No. Is filling the filter with oil a good idea? Yes. But I donít usually do that either. An engine that has been maintained and has a decent oil pump in it should be ok without filling the filter.

Comment

I do use 500 ml of EOS to 4L of oil when I change the oil in my 68, so the additives in that are mixed right into the oil. I usually start by pouring in the EOS, and then the oil.
          Steve - M&M Member #690

1968 GT/CS California Special Candy Apple Red
          2018 Premium GT Fastback Ruby Red

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
          Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Comment

On an engine that has a vertical filter like a Chevy, I always fill the filter first before I put it on. Never do it on a Ford since the filter is almost horizontal, it would run out on the floor before you got it on. As to shaking the oil bottles, never heard of that. I figured it got shook around enough handling it and on the drive home.

If the additives were falling out that easily, how would they ever stay mixed in the engine? Seems like they would all be lining the bottom of the pan if that were the case.
            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
            -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
              On an engine that has a vertical filter like a Chevy, I always fill the filter first before I put it on. Never do it on a Ford since the filter is almost horizontal, it would run out on the floor before you got it on. As to shaking the oil bottles, never heard of that. I figured it got shook around enough handling it and on the drive home.

If the additives were falling out that easily, how would they ever stay mixed in the engine? Seems like they would all be lining the bottom of the pan if that were the case.
              you nailed it Bobby !
              34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                I usually put it in the paint shaker for a minimum 10 minutes. Then pre heat it to the same temp as the engine block so I donít shock the gaskets as it makes its way from the valve cover to the pan. Once the oil is properly prepííd, with careful balance, I do a hand stand while emptying the container to insure all of the bottle contents are emptied so itís clean and ready to recycle. Hope this helps..........
                Poppy65,
                You're being bad again.......

Ryan
                Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by blue34 View Post

you nailed it Bobby !
                  I 2nd that opinion/belief, Fellas!

Ryan
                  Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

back when i did my own oil changes, i would partially fill my filter on my ford engines so il pressure would come up sooner.
                    64 falcon
                    66 mustang
                    76 el camino

a man's fate is a man's fate
                    and life is but an illusion

Comment

Never heard of shaking the oil before pouring it in to the engine.
                      That said, I have always filled the filter at least half way before I install it.
                      Rob Hetzler
                      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                      Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Yes, half full on a Ford, along with wetting the o ring with oil.
                        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                        My Sprint's restoration progress
                        ĒMercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.Ē ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                          Yes, half full on a Ford, along with wetting the o ring with oil.
                          x2....my daddy would slapped me up side the head if I didn't use a Motorcraft FL-1A and put some oil in it and on the rubber. lol
                          1968 Fastback
                          90 5.0 HO
                          T-5
                          Modern leather buckets
                          Front Disc
                          2001 Bullit Green

Comment

Working...
                          X