Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

unexpected chnges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unexpected chnges

I retired January of 2016 and end of this year my wife will retire to start a new chapter in our lives.
    now our kids have thrown us a curve, they want us to move closer to them, so if anything happens to us or one of them, there is no need to travel over an hour to
    help one or the other.

both kids live near the national park so we will be looking at homes in the Valley Forge area to try to make this happen. we are comfortable here & the idea of change
    again bothers both of us.
    however, looking forward it is a good plan and I realize this but a more urban area bugs me.

although there are some areas to hunt & a number of gun clubs around there, it is more crowded. I will need to travel almost 2 hours one way to hunt where I have hunted most of my life. memories of previous dogs & the fields we hunted, plus friends past and present are really keeping my mind on this area. I have told my wife I will continue to hunt
    this area as long as I am able and also explore the spots closer to a new home if we can manage to make the move.

last Saturday I had to tell the boss at the gun shop I probably will not be back as I need to finish the basement here & really go over the landscaping to sell this place.
    I also am helping my oldest with a small remodel job. add to that is the time spent looking for another home & then arranging the move.

to add more frustration for me is trying to locate a good,reliable place to service our vehicles, someone who will also inspect & maybe make repairs on my coupe.
    then there is finding doctors that will take new patients & everything else that goes with relocating.

I just dont know how to describe the way I feel about all this. afraid of what I may miss, afraid of the more congested living area and missing some of the people I will not
    see any longer. life sure does not seem like it is getting simpler with age................

sorry about rambling on

Keith
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Keith, I know the feeling. My wife & I have moved quit a few times in the almost 32 years we have been married, it is a experience to say the least. Not knowing what to expect, will I like the new area & your new neighbors. This coming December I am planning on semi-retiring & only working part time until my wife is ready to retire.
    Mike & Robin Grentus
    69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
    08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
    00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
    99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
    14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
    M&M Member #- 890
    MCA #- 4549
    My 69 Coupe build album
    http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Donít do it. Youíre settled where you are, and probably will never be happy having to basically start over. You sacrificed all your life for your kids, itís time for them to make some sacrifices for you and your wife. That may sound cold, and maybe it is, but you worked all your life to be able to enjoy your final years, enjoy them where YOU want to.
      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
      -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

An hour to visit each other is not a long commute. How often does this occur?
        Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ci8UUP View Post
          An hour to visit each other is not a long commute. How often does this occur?
          once a week but if there is any type of delay on certain area roads there is no way to make a detour. we were stuck on 422 for
          over 2 hours last fall. the kids really want the convenience of us being close, especially in our later years of life.
          34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

Keith

Comment

You have to make decisions that are right for you and your wife, but some things I would consider are:

You are established in a area you are comfortable in.

You would be taking on cost and turmoil you donít need to deal with.

It has always been, and should forever be that the basic human compact we make with each other is that parents support and sacrifice and attend to their children when they are young, then as parents age the roles reverse in interest of dignity and respect and responsibility.

Driving an hour is nothing for young people, itís more difficult, tiring, and dangerous for older people, so this would be accommodating them, not the two of you.

When my Dad got sick and succumbed to cancer, my brother and I and a sister took turns taking our Mother who didnít drive to the VA hospital an hour and a half (one way) through winter (August through April) in Maine (every day, we managed to not miss a single day) to be with our Dad who had to get treatment at our closest VA hospital. I donít think any of us regretted it a bit, and it brought all of us closer together.

Finally, if the area youíre considering is more urban, that would definitely reduce your quality of life and increase your cost of living, especially the way our current society is rapidly devolving. Cities are toxic waste dumps these days.
            '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
            My Sprint's restoration progress
            ĒMercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.Ē ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Blue, as a 40 year old, with my parents being in their mid 70's, I'd love for them to move closer to me (I'm 2.5 hours away). But man, I'd never try to talk them into giving up what they've made for my convenience. I live in Topeka, KS, about 110,000 people, and they've been in Maryville, MO (about 12,000) for 50 years. Is there more to this story that we are not gathering?
              1968 Fastback
              90 5.0 HO
              T-5
              Modern leather buckets
              Front Disc
              2001 Bullit Green

Comment

Originally posted by white68stang View Post
                Blue, as a 40 year old, with my parents being in their mid 70's, I'd love for them to move closer to me (I'm 2.5 hours away). But man, I'd never try to talk them into giving up what they've made for my convenience. I live in Topeka, KS, about 110,000 people, and they've been in Maryville, MO (about 12,000) for 50 years. Is there more to this story that we are not gathering?
                nothing else but health worries. one son in law has MS & my wife has a thyroid issue that requires maintenance drugs. the kids are concerned one or the
                other will need assistance in the future.
                add to that the Valley Forge area is seeing expansion & prices will be much more "reasonable" now than years from now.

Keith

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by blue34 View Post

nothing else but health worries. one son in law has MS & my wife has a thyroid issue that requires maintenance drugs. the kids are concerned one or the
                  other will need assistance in the future.
                  add to that the Valley Forge area is seeing expansion & prices will be much more "reasonable" now than years from now.

Keith
                  Man, that sure makes you think about it. My one suggestion would be to look at real estate that fits in what you want/need, see where it is located in relation to your kids, and really add up how much time you save by moving. Good luck with whatever you decide. Sure sounds like you're thinking about it for all the right reasons.
                  1968 Fastback
                  90 5.0 HO
                  T-5
                  Modern leather buckets
                  Front Disc
                  2001 Bullit Green

Comment

it`s official. we will NOT be moving. due to cost of living & housing prices in the Valley Forge area there
                    is no way we can do this move. it was a good idea from our daughters but we cannot justify the costs.

I had stopped going to the gun shop to concentrate on a few repairs here & to look at homes near our kids.
                    since I have been having fun at the local gun clubs & playing with my street rod I have decided not to work part or full time anywhere.

right now life is sweet ! cant wait for hunting season !!!!!

Keith

Keith

Comment

I think you made the right decision Keith. Enjoy your new free life, I hope to be joining you in a few years! Iím going to try and semi retire in 23 months ( done counting, lol ) and work 3 or 4 days a week for a while to wind things down and get used to a fixed income.
                      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                      -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Wise move, enjoy your retirement!
                        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                        My Sprint's restoration progress
                        ĒMercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.Ē ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Seems like a well thought out process! Kind of like that old saying, you can't pour from an empty cup.
                          1968 Fastback
                          90 5.0 HO
                          T-5
                          Modern leather buckets
                          Front Disc
                          2001 Bullit Green

Comment

I'm late to the party, but I think you made the correct decision by not moving. I've seen too many people uproot their lives and cause a lot of unnecessary turmoil just to make something easier for someone who was more capable of dealing with it than them. I'm selfish, I wont do it.
                            Rob Hetzler
                            M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                            Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                            X