Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evapo-rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evapo-rust

When I use this it usually works great, but it leaves a yellow-beige layer of scum that’s really hard to take off. Is there something I could use to remove it easier?
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Never used it, so I’m no help to you. Have you tried something like vinegar to take the scum off?
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Yesterday I tried vinegar, lacquer thinner, acetone, carb cleaner, Simple Green full strength, nothing touches it, except mechanical removal with a wire wheel. Even a couple hours in my tumbler had no effect. They should paint cars with this stuff.

Next up I’ll try long term soaking in Pine-Sol but I doubt that will do it. Looks like I’m in for long sessions with a wire wheel. The problem is that it is inside some of the components.

I’m trying to ask Evapo-rust but so far they didn’t answer Facebook and Twitter messages.

Comment

maybe try soaking in evapo rust again to soften it up and the wipe clean??? I've never used it either.
        1968 Fastback
        90 5.0 HO
        T-5
        Modern leather buckets
        Front Disc
        2001 Bullit Green

Comment

found this on a discussion board (The Home Shop Machinist)....only thing I saw of your issue.
          1968 Fastback
          90 5.0 HO
          T-5
          Modern leather buckets
          Front Disc
          2001 Bullit Green

Comment

Crap, can't hardly see that.

The section of interest: "Note that EvapoRust leaves a gummy yellow residue behind, so don't dunk mechanisms unless you can follow-up by submerging in a gentle solvent."
            1968 Fastback
            90 5.0 HO
            T-5
            Modern leather buckets
            Front Disc
            2001 Bullit Green

Comment

Originally posted by white68stang View Post
              maybe try soaking in evapo rust again to soften it up and the wipe clean??? I've never used it either.
              I tried that today and it does help wipe some off. I’m going to buy some more in the theory that my supply is spent.

Evapo-rust did reply on Twitter and asked me to send pictures. I’ll update you on what they say after I do that.

Comment

Here’s what they look like. Before I cleaned these parts the residue was thicker than a credit card. An acid to dissolve this residue would be the ideal method.

165540A6-CE11-4BE4-855E-2C44E233FAC5.jpeg

792FDC3B-76D6-4A0B-87BF-82E42FC9A9B3.jpeg

Comment

Well, after communicating with them on Twitter and by phone, we’ve come to the opinion that the solvent probably reacted with lead or cadmium in the metal and the only remedy is more soaking and scrubbing. In the future I’ll be sure to remove items more quickly.

Comment

Can you media blast the part?
                    Rick Stevens
                    Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
                    - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
                    - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

Some I can, but I can’t get inside the boxed parts. This weekend I plan on buying some different media to try in my parts tumbler.

Comment

I forgot to update with what I learned from this experience.

After a few back and forth emails with Evapo-rust customer service, they said my problem was due to the cadmium coating on the boxes reacting with the solvent. It produces a residue that can be wiped off when still wet, but if it dries it is virtually married to the surface. Resoaking helps loosen it, but in very small increments, so mechanical removal is really the best way to deal with it.

After a lot of time with a scotchbite wheel on my Dremel I finally got them immaculate inside and out and after coating them with clear acrylic I can’t believe they look as nice as they do. It’s too bad that they will disappear totally from view once they are installed

In the meantime, a friend referred me to a rust removal chemical from Rustoleum that works excellent and extremely fast, some stuff I soaked looks brand new after only 15 minutes of soaking instead of the 24-48 hours the Evapo-rust seems to need.

Comment

Steve, whats the name of the stuff by Rustoleum?
                          Ed S.
                          M&M #411

68 J-code Sprint"B"
                          Blue Jean 2018 F150 STX, Crew Cab 2.7 Eco

“Somewhere in Kenya a village is still missing its idiot."

Comment

It’s called Rustoleum Rust Dissolver.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...ust-dissolver/

It’s available in liquid and jelly. I use the one gallon liquid which I think cost $24, the same as Evapo-rust.

The Rustoleum seems exactly like Eastwood’s Oxi-Solve which also works excellently, but the last time I checked with them they wanted $39/gallon plus shipping. I shouldn’t be surprised that the Rustoleum is so good, I’ve had excellent results with everything I’ve tried from them.

Last night I took some pictures of how the parts came out, I’m very pleased with them.

7C13AA65-6400-4C35-BE67-9679E03D1090.jpeg

45C78885-40FE-43B5-B8C5-59A24EB1E75F.jpeg

D453BE10-6DCF-4629-8600-191014148FC9.jpeg

D7FC5FFF-92F1-40F9-B17E-1E630AE4BCFA.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                            X