Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question.....

on my coupe the fan is 1/4" to 1/2" away from the radiator. since I am pulling the engine, I looked at the space available & it there is room for it to be moved.
    is it possible to move everything a 1/2" toward the rear without needing to change/shorten anything else ?

thanks, Keith
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

That depends on the amount of slip available on your driveshaft yoke. Any chance of the radiator moving?

Just Thinkin'
    Gene
    To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
    '68 coupe/5.0/T5
    '69 F250
    '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
    '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

If you have room on the slip yoke in the transmission you can. I moved the motor back 1/2" in my car and didnt have to shorten or change anything.
      Rob Hetzler
      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
      Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

no room to move the radiator as it just about touches the grille shell. there looks to be plenty of travel on the yoke so all I
        need to do is adjust the motor & trans mounts.

thanks, Keith
        34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by blue34 View Post
          no room to move the radiator as it just about touches the grille shell. there looks to be plenty of travel on the yoke so all I

thanks, Keith
          Well, there ya go!

Gene
          To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
          '68 coupe/5.0/T5
          '69 F250
          '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
          '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

thanks, Keith
            You’ll want to clean up the section of the slip yoke that wasn’t running against the seal with something like fine emery cloth or sandpaper so the rough surface doesn’t eat up the seal when you are running the yoke deeper.
            '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
            My Sprint's restoration progress
            ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post

You’ll want to clean up the section of the slip yoke that wasn’t running against the seal with something like fine emery cloth or sandpaper so the rough surface doesn’t eat up the seal when you are running the yoke deeper.
              That's a good idea. I didnt have to do that cuz the slip yoke hadnt been in there that long so it was all still fairly shiny.
              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

need to do is adjust the motor & trans mounts. thanks, Keith
                Preferred "yoke travel" is what......1" to 1.5" ? I suppose it depends on the amount the suspension allows the rear to travel up/down from stationary, correct?

Ryan
                Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post

Preferred "yoke travel" is what......1" to 1.5" ? I suppose it depends on the amount the suspension allows the rear to travel up/down from stationary, correct?

Ryan
                  Exactly, as the rear suspension goes up and down while driving the yoke goes in and out on the tailshaft. You need it deep enough to get good spline engagement and stay straight on the bushing and not fall out and not too deep that it comes to a hard mechanical limit, and you can verify how much of the yoke rides against the tailshaft bushing and seal by the wear pattern it left.
                  '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                  My Sprint's restoration progress
                  ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

I looked around a little and it seems most of the driveshaft places all recommend 3/4" to one full inch of slip yoke sticking out of the back of the transmission.
                    Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                    X