Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate jobsite deliveries!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate jobsite deliveries!

Had to make a delivery to a jobsite yesterday, new apartment complex going up. As usual, the dirt work was halfassed done, mud everywhere since it rained the night before. Everytime I deliver on one, I tear something up, yesterday was no exception. Had to pull up and make a hard left then back up in a hole so they could unload. Backing up, left front tire mashed down in a muddy spot, drug the trim loose on my fender skirting, it was easy enough to snap back on though. Had to pull up and get to the left so I could back my trailer to the right side to turn back out, carefully dodging the hole on the left, got in a worse one on the right! Right side drive tires started spinning, no way to pull out, I'm stuck. Got the forklift guy to give me a nudge forward to get up out of the hole, heard fiberglass tearing.......had to keep going. Got straightened up, look in front of me, see something white and muddy laying there.......DAMN! Tore half my bumper off! Threw it up on the trailer and came home.

Took it off the trailer when I got home, took the rest of the bumper off the truck. Looks like I'll be able to fiberglass it back together with some reinforcement strips. Still pizzes me off that I drug it off like that. No more jobsite deliveries for me, too costly on damaged stuff. You can't put a 48' spread axle trailer in a spot designed for passenger cars without tearing something up.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

my first thought was to write a jackass response like, perhaps you need to learn to drive, but then i realized i have had situations like that over the years as well. like the time i was backing up to park my truck only to hit a dumpster just before i was going to stop. or the time i backed up a bit too far and dropped my rear wheels in mud that was deeper than my axle was above the ground.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    76 el camino

a man's fate is a man's fate
    and life is but an illusion

Comment

Yeah, it's easy to criticize if you've not been in a situation. I've been doing this nearly 35 years, and have backed into some of the worst and tightest spaces imaginable, but sometimes things aren't as they appear and can make a huge difference. Had the dirtwork been done proper, it would have supported my weight with no problem, but it wasn't, it was temporary, just good enough to move construction vehicles and forklifts. And another thing, if you have ever noticed, trucks used by building supplies and the like have high ground clearance bumpers, fuel tanks,etc, where my truck is a road tractor with side skirts and a deep bumper to block airflow under the truck, not really optimal for off road excursions. I'm always aware and extra careful because of that, but when the bottom drops out from under you, you don't have much hope!

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

That sucks, more work and $$$ you’re out. Could you have told them to unload it on the street and they could drag it to the mud pit?
        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
        My Sprint's restoration progress
        ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

No, it was just off a 4 lane highway. I have done that before though, refused to put my truck in a spot because it was too rough. There was another truck there when I got there, he didn't have as much problem getting out as I did, but that was before the forklift had mushed the ground up as much as it was when I came out. I wonder how much trouble the guy behind me had, his truck was a good two or three foot longer wheelbase than mine, so a bigger turning radius.

Comment

I managed to glue and screw my bumper back together. Added a few 1/4" bolts to connect the pieces, then copious amounts of fiberglass cloth and resin to strengthen the broken inner structure. Ended up being just a little off, the side that broke off is 1" out past the fender at the tip, so I'm going to go back and put some reinforcing struts on the C curve and pull it back in right. Still going to have to buy a bracket though, my homebrew repair sorta worked on mine, but it's still a bit too flexible for me.

Why didn't I just get a new bumper you might ask? Stock plastic bumper starts at $500, and that's black plastic, mine is body color white, which starts around $650, while chromed aluminum, what I'd love to have, is $750 or more. Insurance deductible is $1000, so no help there. So, right now, no alternative than to piece mine back together. Truck is well worn anyway, so it just fits in. I'll throw some cheap paint on it when I get the braces finished. Just an old work truck anyway, so doesn't have to be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
              I managed to glue and screw my bumper back together. Added a few 1/4" bolts to connect the pieces, then copious amounts of fiberglass cloth and resin to strengthen the broken inner structure. Ended up being just a little off, the side that broke off is 1" out past the fender at the tip, so I'm going to go back and put some reinforcing struts on the C curve and pull it back in right. Still going to have to buy a bracket though, my homebrew repair sorta worked on mine, but it's still a bit too flexible for me.

Why didn't I just get a new bumper you might ask? Stock plastic bumper starts at $500, and that's black plastic, mine is body color white, which starts around $650, while chromed aluminum, what I'd love to have, is $750 or more. Insurance deductible is $1000, so no help there. So, right now, no alternative than to piece mine back together. Truck is well worn anyway, so it just fits in. I'll throw some cheap paint on it when I get the braces finished. Just an old work truck anyway, so doesn't have to be perfect.
              a friend of mine his ex-gorlfrend was driving one of his old celicas when she was hit in the left rear. he took the insurance settlement and just bought the stuff he needed to sort fo repair the car. he said he wanted it "taxi cab straight". he beat the panel out enough that there were no large peaks to over come, then he used loads of body filler to straighten out the body for some cheap paint.
              64 falcon
              66 mustang
              76 el camino

a man's fate is a man's fate
              and life is but an illusion

Comment

Working...
              X