Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally got the Saleen radio working right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got the Saleen radio working right

I bought a JVC radio for the Saleen about a year ago. I got it mainly because it did android auto wireless (and car play). Little did I realize at the time that android auto wireless was not available yet on android, but was in the planning phases. So I stuck it out. Then in January, the Pi release of android was supposed to be out that was to include Android Auto Wireless. Well, it came out, but only for users of the Pixel. Google pulled a fast one and didn't make it part of Pi for its "partners". Bent me out of shape, but FINALLY they rolled it out for Samsung (I have a Note 9) last month. So I was all excited, and ran out to test it. Didn't work. Grrr.....

Did some googling and found that the radio needed a software update. Worked through that and it did kinda work sometimes, but then started giving me an error that I didn't have a bluetooth connection, while playing my mp3s over a bluetooth connection, mind you. More grrr....

More googling and I found that I needed to also update the version of android auto I was using. Done. Tried that and it was finally working, but found that my personal favorite mp3 player (Pi) wasn't compatible with Android Auto. So I jumped into Google Music player and dealt with the frustration of having to rebuild all my playlists. Still don't have them imported right, but at least it's playing music. Then this morning, it starts glitching out saying "Google Music Play doesn't seem to be working right now". Error messages like this are a pet peeve of mine. Not enough info to effectively troubleshoot. But alas after googling and reading and googling and reading, I found it. On Samsung phones, you have to tell it that it's ok for Google Music Play to operate in the background, or it will shut the app down. Set that to allowed, and this radio is finally worth the money I paid for it!

For anyone that hasn't tried Waze yet, I highly recommend it as your nav app. Great stuff. Now I get to use that in the Saleen, which will be eligible for Historic plates here in another year!
    It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
    '66 Coupe C code
    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

I don’t understand much of what you said, but happy you got your radio working!

Ive got a problem with the AM/FM/WX/CD player in the Freightliner. It quit working on anything but AUX, where I have my XM plugged in. Sometimes it will work on FM a few days, sometimes it won’t work for weeks. Guess I’ll end up getting another one, I really need the FM for traffic reports some mornings.

And my cell has just about quit, so I gotta replace that soon. No memory left, app updates have hogged it up. Too much bloatware you can’t get rid of. Guess it’s about outdated anyway, it’s a Galaxy 2 Skyrocket.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Yeah, that thing is 8 years old. It's not going to keep up. I guess, as you noted, I'm a tech guy. Waze would do you wonders for traffic. It's a Nav program. You just tell it where you're going and it will take you the fastest route while taking traffic into consideration. Probably my favorite app ever. Even tells you when the coppers put up a speed trap. I'm not sure, but I think it also has a mode for truckers so it won't guide you down a back road that would be difficult to navigate.

M&M Member #33
      '66 Coupe C code
      '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

It can be a bear trying to get everything in "tune" with each other, That stuff can get really involved.

It's cool when you find the one "switch" that straightens everything up!

Rick

BBF powered '23 Gas Altered

"You'd be a fool to not rock on".

Comment

Still hunting down the solution to finding a few minor switches. Google voice seems to be lacking permission to do voice controls on the phone. I have played with them, but can't find that setting. It says my phone should have a notification, but it does not.

I will win this!

M&M Member #33
          '66 Coupe C code
          '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

So I think I got that worked out. It was more of a phone settings issue with the Google Voice Assistant. Looking through the Google Android Auto Forums, there seems to be a lot of folks struggling with the same issue. The key was to access the assistant from the phone rather than Android Auto, and then the alert that was being referenced was present. Seems to be working great now. Next issue is to tackle music playlists.

M&M Member #33
            '66 Coupe C code
            '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Cool beans.

Now that it's working good, yes, on to figuring out how to use it!

Systems like that usually have about 70% more features than I can remember, LOL!
              Rick

BBF powered '23 Gas Altered

"You'd be a fool to not rock on".

Comment

Working...
              X