Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F 150 sales slip,Explorer & police car issues....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F 150 sales slip,Explorer & police car issues....

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...op/2822678001/

34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Poor design and slamming these vehicles together without proper testing, resulting in inferior products which are difficult to diagnose and repair due to poor diagnostic support, is the main reason I left my Ford tech career a little over a year ago.
    I know I’ve harped on this several times over the years, but something at Ford changed around 2015. Their design teams seem more focused on all the fancy doo dads, rather than longevity.
    The junk they are building today will usually work well off the line, but after a few years and usually after the initial warranty period is up, is when they start to suffer their electrical/mechanical issues. My #1 piece of advice when buying anything newer than 2014-2015 is to buy a GOOD warranty, one that has an excellent rental program.
    My girlfriends 2017 Escape, with 50k miles, has been in the shop now for 5 days getting a side object detection issue repaired. Took them 3 days just to get it in the shop....because the shop is sooo busy. They diagnosed a faulty wiring harness that is on back order. She’s been driving a 2019 Expedition loaner while we’ve been waiting on the Escape to be repaired.
    M&M Member #91
    Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
    US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Not to mention the prices. They seem to slam most vehicles with every option in the book or have a few that are stark naked. I just don’t want to pay $55,000 for a pickup and I don’t want to buy a stripper either. When I leave a dealer lot feeling my ‘94 or’97 vehicles are better than what they’re offering me, I’d say they are in trouble.
      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
      My Sprint's restoration progress
      ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

It would take something truly catastrophic to strand my old tech 68 Mustang Coupe! And then, even the worst would take no more than a few hours to fix, once the materials are gathered. Yeah I know, none of the modern conveniences, but to quote the title and chorus of a song written by my dear old friend Nasty, "It Sure Beats A Walkin'!"
        Just Drivin'
        Gene
        To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
        '68 coupe/5.0/T5
        '69 F250
        '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
        '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Originally posted by horseballz View Post
          It would take something truly catastrophic to strand my old tech 68 Mustang Coupe! And then, even the worst would take no more than a few hours to fix, once the materials are gathered. Yeah I know, none of the modern conveniences, but to quote the title and chorus of a song written by my dear old friend Nasty, "It Sure Beats A Walkin'!"
          Just Drivin'
          Gene
          All the crap the manufacturers are installing on these cars today (not just Ford), the sync/bluetooth, heated/cooled seats, ambient lighting, touchscreen this and that, etc etc.
          The vehicles that are being produced today, will the parts to fix all that junk even be available in 7-10 years? I highly doubt it. For one, a lot of the junk is made in China, and made very cheaply, so even if there comes a company that can repair the electrical stuff, why would they....and I haven’t even scratched the mechanical side of it.
          When I was techin’, I would occasionally get a car to work on that was 10 years old or older where the electronic parts (lighting, HVAC, entertainment) modules were obsolete, and nobody was fixing them.
          Repairing that kind of crap on today’s cars, 10 years down the road? Forget about it! But if you think about it....that is probably the manufacturers goal. Build a vehicle that MIGHT last 10 years, then throw it away.
          M&M Member #91
          Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
          US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
            Not to mention the prices. They seem to slam most vehicles with every option in the book or have a few that are stark naked.
            A buddy on another forum just ordered a new F350. He found out there are certain things that if you check the option box it triggers another WAY more expensive option that you may not even want. Basically it's "I want this $500 option but I cant get it unless I also get this $1700 option."
            Prices are out of control on all the trucks, even the Rangers. There is actually a new Ranger on the local lot that got my interested up a little so I stopped and looked at it. It's a nice truck, but not $42k nice. IT'S A RANGER!

Rob Hetzler
            M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
            Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
              Repairing that kind of crap on today’s cars, 10 years down the road? Forget about it! But if you think about it....that is probably the manufacturers goal. Build a vehicle that MIGHT last 10 years, then throw it away.
              Not just cars, they do that with everything now.

Rob Hetzler
              M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
              Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

I used to be able to pick up a good body with a bad motor or transmission for a few hundred bucks, find a roll over or wreck with a good power train and make a good car out of the two. Drive it a while, sell for a profit, repeat. No more. All the electronics and computer garbage has killed that, you can’t put a 5.4 where a 4.6 was without changing a bunch of crap, it’s unreal. As much as I like my 99, when the 5.4 goes I’ll probably put a 302 or 351 in it, if I can find one.

No way will I ever buy new again. Nowadays the down payment is more than I have paid for complete cars!

And they are pushing this electric vehicle crap. If you think they are having problems now, just wait until they start turning this things out on the road. They might be fine in city use, but for us folks in rural areas they will never fly. We ain’t got time to sit 45 minutes or an hour to recharge the damn things, and I doubt many people have sufficient wiring in their homes for heavy duty chargers. When folks realize they can’t charge up in 10 minutes like they put in gasoline, Ford and the rest will be getting a lot of vehicles back. And when those that do charge at home see the electric bill, the crap will hit the fan!
                oh, by the way, Alabama is putting an additional $200 registration tax on electric and hybrid vehicles because they aren’t paying gas taxes! So where did all that money you saved go? You didn’t save any, you’ll end up paying more!
                ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Working...
                X