Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trans/torque converter ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans/torque converter ?

I ran into an issue with the new engine. the stroker kit is an internal balance & of course takes a different flex plate. the old torque converter lines up but
    will not fit flush against the flex plate. it should go another 1/4 inch but due to the design of the converter it hits the flex plate to soon. this is a 12" converter
    which surprised me so what I am asking is...anyone up on converters & could recommend what is needed / Thanks

edit = car has an FMX trans

Keith
    Last edited by blue34; 03-24-2020, 06:48 PM.
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Keith, what stroker manufacturer kit are you using?
    Mike & Robin Grentus
    69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
    08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
    00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
    99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
    14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
    M&M Member #- 890
    MCA #- 4549
    My 69 Coupe build album
    http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike65 View Post
      Keith, what stroker manufacturer kit are you using?
      Mike, the builder picked out the kit & all I know is it`s a Manley crank (3.850 stroke), Auto Tec/Ross forged pistons with Scat rods.
      the flexplate is a 164 tooth by PRW #1830210

Last edited by blue34; 03-25-2020, 04:39 AM.
      34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

Keith

Comment

Sure the flex plate is on right? Some you can put on the wrong way as well as the right way...
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

this plate can only go on one way but thanks for the reminder. wouldnt be the 1st time I did something bass ackwards.......

I did talk to the builder & the man he used for all transmission work passed away 2 years ago. he has not found anyone else with
          the knowledge & experience that the old timer had.

Keith

Keith

Comment

What is hitting, the hub or the mounting pads? If it’s the hub, you might have to have it turned down a bit.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Are you sure that the torque converter is engaged with all three keys, input, stator, and pump?

I like to hold the converter by the stub and spin it and count off each engagement.

BTW, make sure that you use a new front seal or you may be doing this again soon.
              '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
              My Sprint's restoration progress
              ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

I lifted the engine out & then removed the converter. putting the converter against the flex plate shows that the raised area around the center is
                keeping the converter from fitting against the flex plate correctly.
                the raised area on the converter is 8 1/2" in diameter where as the recessed area on the new flex plate is only 6 1/2" in diameter.
                would the new flex plate require a converter smaller than the old 12" converter ???????
                maybe a 10" converter ?

thanks, Keith

Keith

Comment

Keith, do you have a pic of the flexplate you could post? You cant use a stock flexplate?.
                  Mike & Robin Grentus
                  69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                  08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                  00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                  99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                  14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                  M&M Member #- 890
                  MCA #- 4549
                  My 69 Coupe build album
                  http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike65 View Post
                    Keith, do you have a pic of the flexplate you could post? You cant use a stock flexplate?.
                    the stroker kit is neutral balance so it needed a neutral balanced flex plate. old plate is external balance.

the engine builder said if it comes to a dead end he could re-balance the old flex plate to neutral. I`m not sure I want to do that as it is worn a bit
                    on the teeth & the bolt holes are sloppy....... so I may end up having a stock plate balanced but they are not as strong as this performance plate.
                    the builder would rather a performance plate used due to the hp,torque & compression of this engine.
                    he is trying to get more info on another torque converter for me & I am trying to get in contact with an old timer Ford guy but not having any luck.
                    a lot of these companies & people do not know there were differences in trans models,torque converter bolt patterns, etc..... so we are trying to be careful &
                    not end up with the wrong part.

thanks guys, Keith

Keith

Comment

It doesn’t have a pilot bearing or bushing in the end or the crank, does it?
                      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                      My Sprint's restoration progress
                      ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                        It doesn’t have a pilot bearing or bushing in the end or the crank, does it?
                        no sir, just the usual pilot set up/size.
                        Last edited by blue34; 03-26-2020, 03:57 PM.

Keith

Comment

I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Could you get us a pic of the new and the old flexplates and the converter so we can see what it hitting?

Comment

1st pic-old flexplate & torque converter.....
                            the indented area of the flexplate is a bit over 10" in diameter. on the face of the converter is a raised area (10" dia.) that fits into the plate.

next pic is the parts joined........
                            it is hard to see but the shoulder of the studs on the converter fit flush against the plate.

now the new plate. the recessed area is 8" in diameter so when the converter is mated to the plate, that 10" raised area of the converter hits the plate before the shoulder of the studs meet the face of the plate. when mated there is almost a 1/4" gap between the shoulder of the studs & the face of the plate. the studs come through the plate just enough to start the nuts on them.

sorry, I`m not good with pics or explanations. hope this helps everyone to visualize the issue.

Keith

Keith

Comment

So, I dont remember the exact details, but I had one converter/flexplate combo that did something very similar. (I kinda think it was a stock flexplate with a big diameter mounting pattern converter) However it was not a stud mounted converter, so what we did might not work. So, we found a washer that was just a touch thicker than the gap, ground one side (edge, corner, took one rounded area and ground it so it would fit within the lip) flat so it would sit down on the flexplate. We then bolted the converter to it that way and let the converter sit against the washer which was against the flexplate. But like I said, that was a bolt mounted converter, so we werent dealing with a fixed length like a stud is.
                              Rob Hetzler
                              M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                              Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                              X