Brought to you by our Members since 1999, and:

for Twenty Years!
National Parts Depot.
The best source of parts, bar none!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FORD may have dealers complete vehicles......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FORD may have dealers complete vehicles......

https://www.motor1.com/news/520701/f...dealers-rumor/
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Techs are gonna absolutely love that bullshyt
    M&M Member #91
    Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
    US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I'm curious as to how all the other auto makers, across the globe, are handling the situation? Is it possible that there may be way more going on here than what immediately meets the eye?
      Just Wonderin'
      Gene
      To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
      '68 coupe/5.0/T5
      '69 F250
      '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
      '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Good point, Gene........ it makes you wonder.... - Ryan
        Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

What on the vehicles do these "chips" control or do?.
          Mike & Robin Grentus
          69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
          08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
          00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
          99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
          14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
          M&M Member #- 890
          MCA #- 4549
          My 69 Coupe build album
          http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike65 View Post
            Damn near everything! It's cheaper to make electronics than mechanical servos. The consumer appetite for smartphone like functionality in vehicles cannot be satiated.

The "radios" in modern cars control everything from bluetooth to multimedia to climate controls. Now even EFI is controlled by the computer. Steering is optical; transmissions have logic. ABS is computer controlled. Now you even have launch control technology that accounts for wheel spin. Lane centering, automatic braking. The computer is taking over cars.

My son, 19, has a whole new appreciation for the 66 where everything is manual. He enjoys the experience since it's like "stepping into a time machine".

Here's a decent article on the shortage: https://www.techrepublic.com/article...-will-it-last/

It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
            '66 Coupe C code
            '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Originally posted by Mike65 View Post
              I imagine what Ford (and others) may be trying to get dealers to do is accept the dead units…..(because they are running out of storage space), and by accepting, Ford will be paying them something in the form of a dealer incentive or rebate, and when the parts come in, ship them to directly to their respective parts dept for install and programming of the modules.

This crap will be a great deal for everyone involved (the dealer principle, the salesman, the car lot guy, and even the customer)……except the actual tech installing and performing the programmable module install.

I don’t know what module/modules are missing, but can tell you it can take minutes for some module, all the way up to an hour or more for a body control module.

I can visualize it now. The dealership agrees to take 100 Ford 150’s that still need a body control module. The trucks will have to be towed and dropped “out back”. The modules will start arriving and like I said, can take an hour or more to install and program. You get more than 3-4 in the shop at one time, then you’re tying up multiple scan tools for 2-4 hours, sucking up bandwidth, wifi drops, techs have to start all over…..all while the tech is only getting paid .7hr per vehicle, because the process has become a TSB.
              BTW, the other techs in the shop that need a scan tool for regular customer work will be shyt out of luck until a scan tool is free. Of course, this is a worst case scenario…..but I can honestly say…..been there, done that.
              M&M Member #91
              Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
              US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

No thank you to those new vehicles, we will keep our 99 Explorer Sport & 00 Ranger 4x4 much easier to fix.
                Mike & Robin Grentus
                69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                M&M Member #- 890
                MCA #- 4549
                My 69 Coupe build album
                http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Working...