Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A seniors perspective of facebook.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A seniors perspective of facebook.

For those of my generation who do not, and cannot, comprehend why Facebook exists:

I am trying to make friends outside of Facebook while applying the same principles.

Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell passersby what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before,
    what I will do later and with whom.

I show them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks,
    driving around town, having lunch,and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.

I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.

And it works just like Facebook.

I already have four people following me: two police officers, a private investigator and a psychiatrist !!!

34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Sums it up pretty well!
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

What a Neanderthal! Don't you know that human contact is shunned (unless it occurs electronically) and that it will soon be banned by our society? All communication is to be conducted only through the "Internest" so that it may be properly monitored by the appropriate authorities!
      Big Brother Is Watching You!
      Gene
      To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
      '68 coupe/5.0/T5
      '69 F250
      '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
      '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

I can not understand what the appeal of facebook is, is it just me or that I am old. If I want to see pictures of you I will go to your house see you, if I want to know what you ate or what you are doing I will call you on the phone & talk to you. Just call me a old dinosaur.
        Mike & Robin Grentus
        69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
        08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
        00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
        99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
        14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
        M&M Member #- 890
        MCA #- 4549
        My 69 Coupe build album
        http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike65 View Post
          I can not understand what the appeal of facebook is, is it just me or that I am old. If I want to see pictures of you I will go to your house see you, if I want to know what you ate or what you are doing I will call you on the phone & talk to you. Just call me a old dinosaur.

I agree, Mike..... and the saddest thing is many of our society think/believe that texting or 'Facebooking' you is more than just adequate as calling you and actually SPEAKING to you, or visiting you face-to-face (gasp!)...... and then there are those that 'keep track' of who called who last.... like they'll be given 50 lashes if they actually call you twice in row.....

So, Mike and everyone else (OWO, Old Wise Ones),,,,,WHY? WHAT has caused this change in our society?

My opinion/explanation is this: This generation has been TAUGHT that speed is everything. Personal contact takes up too much precious time and energy - it's unnecessary.
          Even the use of mere texting should be kept to a minimum. This is demonstrated to the point where we should all minimize even our language to the point of hybrid abbreviations ("Sounding it Out" via the use of homemade phonetics - some call it "living through solitary refinement") and dropping the use of any punctuation or proper grammar.......it's as if we are loosing our ability to communicate,,,,I say this because I see the lack of actual communication every day resulting in assumptions and mis-interpretations causing redos, backups, do-overs, missed meetings, etc. ...Yep, I don't like the way we are NOT progressing as a society,,,, RANT OVER...

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Veering slightly off topic here....because the joke is funny....
            while I can agree with most of the comments made here regarding the "advances" (or regression as some may feel) that have been made via the smart phone, texting, social media, etc etc etc....you must also keep in mind that I'm sure those WAY before us thought the same thing when cars replaced horse and buggies, when the telegraph and telephone and eventually email took a bite out of letter writing, when home televisions replaced the home radio, etc etc, this list can go on and on.
            It's part of growing old. Im 50, and just the other day was trying to IMAGINE what my girlfriends 5 year old granddaughter will be using for communication devices when she's 18, but hopefully, I'll still be around to see it.
            Im sure if you could ask a 100 year old, today, about what they imagined communication would be like when they were 15 years old, they would have never thought it would be what it is today.
            M&M Member #91
            Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
            US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
              Im sure if you could ask a 100 year old, today, about what they imagined communication would be like when they were 15 years old, they would have never thought it would be what it is today.
              I knew a lady that passed away a few years ago that lived to be in her late 90's. She was born in 1910?, before automobiles, airplanes, telephones, household electricity, space flight, radio and TV. Said she had never seen indoor running water or bathrooms until she was in her 30's, they used kerosene lamps, heated with a wood stove and fireplace. Lived out in the country most of her life, only going to town two or three times a year by horse and wagon. Think she went to about the sixth grade in school, then worked full time on the farm, married at age 13 to start her own family. Didn't have a TV or telephone until the mid 1960's, never learned to drive, her husband drove them until his death, then she moved into a project house in town and gave the farm to her kids in the early 80's. All the things she saw come about in her lifetime we now think we can't do without. Makes me wonder if things will change that much in my lifetime, I just don't see that much creativity or imagination, but then again, i don't know of everything going on. She lived through a lot of changes in lifestyle.
              ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
              -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
              -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
              " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                I just don't see that much creativity or imagination, but then again, i don't know of everything going on. She lived through a lot of changes in lifestyle.
                Most of us "middle age" people today kind of got the short end of the stick....we were born too LATE, yet too EARLY,'to see the next BIG change.....like electricity, running water, manned flight....things like that. We got stuck with teasers, like landing on the moon, cell phones, texting, Facebook....lol!

Getting back to my 5 year old granddaughter......who knows, maybe it'll be HER generation....or her children's generation, that comes up with the next BIG thing.
                Like you, for me personally, its hard to even try imagine that big because, after all, we are on the downhill slide of things.......but it sure would be cool to have a clue what the NEXT big thing (compared to electricity, etc) could be!!
                I'm sure when fire and the wheel were invented, that was HUGE!!!
                M&M Member #91
                Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
                US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Working...
                X