Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowe’s Sells Craftsman??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowe’s Sells Craftsman??

Don’t know if the rest of you have Lowe’s Home Improvement stores in your areas, but I was looking thru the “Fathers Day” circular that came in our junk mail today and was surprised to open it up a couple of pages and see an entire page dedicated to Craftsman.
    Now, Lowe’s already has their own in house tool brand (if you watch NASCAR, you’ve probably seen their car with the “”KOBALT”” stickers all over it).
    Anyway, just thought it was strange that Lowe’s sells Craftsman
    Cover of circular Page 6
    M&M Member #91
    Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
    US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

remember Stanley bought craftsman from Sears............................
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

We still have a couple of “big name” small hardware stores here in my small suburb (Gladstone, Mo) of Kansas City, Mo.
      The first one is Ace Hardware and another smaller hardware store called Tru Value.
      The Ace Hardware Store ALSO sells Craftsman.
      Now with Lowe’s selling Craftsman, I’’m really confused.
      M&M Member #91
      US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

all the stores you mentioned sell or sold Stanley tools so now that Craftsman is owned by Stanley it follows that
        they would offer Craftsman.
        in my opinion the quality of Craftsman was cut before the sale to Stanley so now I by Kobalt at Lowes or Duralast from Autozone.
        specialty tools are a problem though. I need to borrow or purchase through a mechanic friend.
        34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by blue34 View Post
          all the stores you mentioned sell or sold Stanley tools so now that Craftsman is owned by Stanley it follows that
          they would offer Craftsman.
          in my opinion the quality of Craftsman was cut before the sale to Stanley so now I by Kobalt at Lowes or Duralast from Autozone.
          specialty tools are a problem though. I need to borrow or purchase through a mechanic friend.
          Makes sense. Guess since I’ve been out of the Craftsman loop for the last decade or more (all of my tools are of the Snap On/MAC type due to my career), I missed the whole Stanley buy out.
          I also thought I heard somewhere that Snap On owned by Stanley?

M&M Member #91

Comment

I’ve even seen Craftsman in K-Mart stores. They have to branch out everywhere and get away from Sears which will be gone before very long, in the financial world most people are amazed that Sears Holding is still hanging on, they even have trouble getting credit for merchandise because they are running out of assets to sell off. I think Kenmore is gone now.
            '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
            My Sprint's restoration progress
            ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

To bad the quality has been lowered to that of Stanley. I used to be a huge collector of their tools but after they went Chinese, had to move on.
              1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
              347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
              363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
              244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

I dont know about snap on but I know they bought Mac, Proto & Bostitch during the 80`s

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                  To bad the quality has been lowered to that of Stanley. I used to be a huge collector of their tools but after they went Chinese, had to move on.
                  Yeah, I put them in the same level as Harbor Freight, the quality is hit or miss. They are happy to source their tools anyplace, quality is about third place in their priorities.
                  '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                  My Sprint's restoration progress
                  ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

yep, craftsman can be found in K Marts as they are owned by Sears.

Keith

Comment

Stanley has actually put the quality back into some of the Craftsman line. Stanley has always been a good quality tool, priced more toward the do it yourself guy than the commercial mechanic market. Craftsman quality started going down under Sears as they were trying to cut corners everywhere they could. I think Stanley also bought New Britton who owns Snap On, and some of the Craftsman stuff is now the same as the commercial quality Snap On stuff. Sears also cheapened up on the warranty from what I've heard, no longer replacement , fix yours or your money back, it's replacement only now. Almost all the Craftsman stuff I have has been acquired through the years from yard sales and flea markets, very little did I purchase new at a store. The old stuff is for sure better quality, but I've looked at some of the new and it looks pretty good, too.

Sears is looking for someone to buy it's Kenmore appliance line. They have been mismanaged so long and have so many unfunded liabilities in pensions and healthcare that it's eating them alive. Their big mistake was when they started putting up brick and mortar stores everywhere and got away from their mail order business that worked great for over 100 years. If they had of adapted the mail order to the internet and only had a few scattered out stores in larger cities instead of a small to medium sized store in every town that had a post office, they might have made it. Now, they are in a death spiral, closing stores and selling off assets to survive. I don't think they can make it through another year. When they closed the big store in Tuscaloosa, we went to see if there were any bargains, there weren't. Everything was marked so much off, but was still higher than other retailers prices. And customer service was non existent. We were looking at the gas ranges but couldn't get a rep to help us for the longest. When we did get one, we found out that the appliances were not marked down any at all, and on top of that, you actually had to order them and wait a week or two for delivery! We ended up having to order one at Home Depot, but it only took two days to get it and it was $200 cheaper than a similar Sears range! Sad to see a giant like them go down in such a dismal fashion. The nearest store to me is over 100 miles away now, so I doubt we'll be giving them much business anymore. I could order online, but if I'm going to do that I might as well do it from a company that will be around to honor it's warranties and be cheaper at the same time. I'm sure Mr Richard Sears is rolling in his grave right now.....
                      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                      -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I hope you're right about some of the quality coming back. Their Professional line had a great feel to them and the ratchets had a ton of positive latching detents. I don't touch the regular garbage ratchets unless wearing gloves.
                        1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                        347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                        363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                        244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

A few years ago I bought a Stanley 1/4" drive ratchet when my Craftsman 1/4" drive ratchet decided to literally fall in to pieces. That Stanley is way better than any of the Craftsman ratchets I have.
                          Rob Hetzler
                          M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                          Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                          X