Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went to another Sears yesterday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to another Sears yesterday

This one in a mall. They were having a “blowout sale” on a lot of items, 35-60% off on different things. I was tempted a few times, but when I looked at them I just couldn’t do it, even at the much lower prices. I’ve always wanted a band saw and they had a bench one for $129, the body was plastic. Screw that. Then I saw a floor mounted one for $300, that was a cheap piece of crap too. I looked a long time at a set of torx bits, (they call them star bits ) but I realized I just wanted them for the external torx sockets which I don’t have, but it only had six and I rather just keep looking for used ones on eBay, plus my wife and I have been talking about starting to take walks early Saturday mornings and scan yard sales. The set came with their latest 3/8 ratchet which looks like a toy, and other junk I don’t need. Even if as they listed that set as “$99 worth of tools for only $54” and it was marked down to $24.

I want to hunt down the one tools, I guess since I’m an old tool myself.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Steve I wish I knew you wanted a band saw, I could have sold you mine I have collecting dust in our garage. I could have even delivered it to you.
    Mike & Robin Grentus
    69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
    08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
    00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
    99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
    14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
    M&M Member #- 890
    MCA #- 4549
    My 69 Coupe build album
    http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

That would have been perfect, especially if it was an older one.

Comment

I got my torx sockets at my auto parts store, Lisle brand. External ones have been good, the internal ones I’ve broken several, seems like they are cast instead of forged. I broke a 17mm external one with a 18” pull bar trying to take a Nissan flywheel off. One steady pull and it twisted off. Went to OReilley’s and got a forged one, broke the bolts loose no problem. I want to find a set of the forged internal ones myself,don’t need them that often, but when I do I want something that will stay with me and not strip or break on the first pull.
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
          That would have been perfect, especially if it was an older one.
          It is a 14" bandsaw made by Grizzly Industrial. I had purchased it back in the late 90's when I had a small woodworking shop in a previous house basement.
          Mike & Robin Grentus
          69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
          08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
          00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
          99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
          14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
          M&M Member #- 890
          MCA #- 4549
          My 69 Coupe build album
          http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
            I got my torx sockets at my auto parts store, Lisle brand. External ones have been good, the internal ones I’ve broken several, seems like they are cast instead of forged. I broke a 17mm external one with a 18” pull bar trying to take a Nissan flywheel off. One steady pull and it twisted off. Went to OReilley’s and got a forged one, broke the bolts loose no problem. I want to find a set of the forged internal ones myself,don’t need them that often, but when I do I want something that will stay with me and not strip or break on the first pull.
            I have only internal torx, a couple small sets that make up most of the sizes I’ve run across. I haven’t had need for external torx yet, maybe I would be smarter to wait until/if I ever do.

Comment

I bought my external torx sockets to take the pulleys off a mid 80's Chrysler FWD 4 cyl. Don't think I've used them many times, might have used them on one of my trucks once. As far as I'm concerned, they're another one of those "make it difficult so they'll bring it back to a dealer" type tools, you don't really use them enough to justify buying a full set. A simple six or twelve point bolt head would have been just as good and held just as much as the torx did. I also have one of those "tamper proof" internal torx bits, the kind that has the small pin in the center so a normal torx won't fit it, had to have it to work on the FI on the Vette.
              ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
              -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
              -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
              " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Yeah, I think I’m going to limit myself to just what I need. I already have tools that most people in my family will have no idea what they are after I take that dirt nap.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                  Yeah, I think I’m going to limit myself to just what I need. I already have tools that most people in my family will have no idea what they are after I take that dirt nap.
                  I've gotten rid of a lot of my fathers tools, most are old machinists tools that I would never use. I sold a box of that stuff in a garage sale, a bunch of stuff probably 99% of the public wouldn't care about or even know what it was, the guy asked how much I said I don't know how about $10, I think he felt bad about taking them for that price and I think I remember he gave me $30 because he knew what they were worth at one time.

Yep when I pass I suspect someone will get a steal on some of the crap I spent a mint on.
                  Ron

Comment

Working...
                  X