Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harbor Freight tools again.........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight tools again.........

I had a small project where I needed 2 or 3 more vice grips. since this seems to be a once & done job I thought to
    buy inexpensive tools to get it done & went to H F.
    what a freakin mistake, these tools are difficult to open when locked no matter how they are adjusted & the one
    will not stay locked !

Keith
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Some of the HF stuff is pretty good, some is junk. I just bought a 2hp gas earth auger, hope it holds together to drill 8 holes!
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I took them back to exchange for others which took about half an hour to sort thru the batch
      on the shelf just to find 3 that are ONLY slightly better

Keith
      34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Vise grip brand actually aren't too bad price wise at Home Depot. I made the mistake of picking up a couple HF wrenches to modify instead of cutting up my good tools. Junk. When I finally got a descent weld on them, the rest of the metal would crumble around the weld.
        1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
        347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
        363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
        244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

I've bought some vise grip copies at walmart that were decent, too.
          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
          -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Quality control still isn't one of their strong suits. As others have said, some things are good and some are bad. I got a tool cabinet a few months ago that I'm quite happy with. I try to stay away from anything electronic. Sounds like their locking pliers need some QA help. I got some extended reach ones (the C-clamp style) last year for my body work project and they worked "good enough". There was some slop in them, but otherwise they stayed locked in place once I had them set. I used to always look for Vice Grip brand locking pliers, but it really doesn't mean as much any more now that my wife and I drive past an empty building in Nebraska where they used to make them before production got moved to China. Now they're about the same as anything else.
            68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
            '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
            Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

Working...
            X