Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeing is believing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing is believing

Like many of you, I'm far-sighted, so I need help with anything closer than ~two feet. Some years ago--with the help of my vision insurance--I stepped up for a pair of prescription safety glasses that were called "occupational lenses." Apparently, these glasses are also known as "dual segment bifocal safety glasses." They have the bifocal lens at the bottom for close-up work, but they also have that same lens at the top (see pic).

Couldn't believe how much easier it is to work on things that require looking up! Say you're under your car and have to work on something that's over your head. No more having to tilt your head way back with regular bifocals to try to focus on the work! I don't know how I did without these for so long! I have several pairs now, since I use them in all parts of the house, out-buildings, and anywhere else I'm working.

The prescription items are way expensive, and not all vision stores sell them. But there's an inexpensive, non-prescription alternative, and they're readily available (read on!).

Here are some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/Reader-Protec.../dp/B007RSG2VE

https://www.mcmaster.com/bifocal-safety-glasses

https://www.grainger.com/product/2UY...!g!82166233077!

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf30.html

These may not have the quality that the costly ones do, but they'd surely work for most instances, and they're dirt cheap. I'll bet it would be well worth your time and a few bucks to give them a try. Might make your life a lot easier!

Lenses.JPG
    Paul N.

'84 EXP: 5.0, T-5, 4.30 9", Fat Tires
    Backyard Experiment

sumptus censum ne superet
    (let not your spending exceed your income)

Great tip Paul! I have had to turn my bifocals upside down a time or two while working overhead, doesn’t work real well!
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Good idea.
      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
      My Sprint's restoration progress
      ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Good way to pick out a diopter number is to figure out what focal length you want, go to a department store that sells cheap reading glasses, try on different pairs until you get the right one (or something close to it), then see if you can order that diopter number.

I have one small, cheap pair of those that fits in my welding goggles and helmet. This pair has a real close focal length for sticking my head up into a hole while welding.
        Paul N.

'84 EXP: 5.0, T-5, 4.30 9", Fat Tires
        Backyard Experiment

sumptus censum ne superet
        (let not your spending exceed your income)

Comment

I think the small pharmacy we go to even has a rack of them.
          '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
          My Sprint's restoration progress
          ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Working...
          X