Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evapo-rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ford84stepside
    replied
    Looks like Autozone for me, too. Not a place I normally go, but will to try this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• blue34
    replied
    thanks for the update Steve. as usual the local Wally world has the Rustoleum ....their paints and not much else.

the local Home Depot & Autozone have it so I`m good to go.

Keith

Leave a comment:

• SteveLaRiviere
    replied
    You supposedly can find it at Walmart but mine only have the gel in stock, and I buy it by the gallon so I can soak. I searched online and found Autozone carries it so I get it there. If you go to their website they have a ‘where to find in your area’ button.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...ust-dissolver/

Leave a comment:

• ford84stepside
    replied
    Where can you get the RustOleum? Sounds like I might need some.

Leave a comment:

• SteveLaRiviere
    replied
    Well, I’m done with Evapo-rust. I soaked another part, my emergency brake pedal assembly, and was rewarded by having it covered again in that disgusting goo. Luckily, I was able to clean it all out before it solidified, after going through a full can of carb cleaner and a can of brake clean. Other parts I had been soaking at the same time in Rustoleum came out looking like brand new and just needing a simple rinse in running water and a coating of WD-40 for rust protection.

Rustoleum for me, from now on. Another bonus for using it is that it gets it done in 15-30 minutes, instead of overnight, which is probably why it doesn’t grow goo.

Leave a comment:

• SteveLaRiviere
    replied
    Evapo-rust works fine when you use it on the proper metals.

3881947D-813B-401F-9AF2-A4AF9FE52940.jpeg

4B1D8404-B785-4DD3-874B-77669DCD07EF.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• SteveLaRiviere
    replied
    Itís called Rustoleum Rust Dissolver.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...ust-dissolver/

Itís available in liquid and jelly. I use the one gallon liquid which I think cost $24, the same as Evapo-rust.

The Rustoleum seems exactly like Eastwoodís Oxi-Solve which also works excellently, but the last time I checked with them they wanted $39/gallon plus shipping. I shouldnít be surprised that the Rustoleum is so good, Iíve had excellent results with everything Iíve tried from them.

Last night I took some pictures of how the parts came out, Iím very pleased with them.

7C13AA65-6400-4C35-BE67-9679E03D1090.jpeg

45C78885-40FE-43B5-B8C5-59A24EB1E75F.jpeg

D453BE10-6DCF-4629-8600-191014148FC9.jpeg

D7FC5FFF-92F1-40F9-B17E-1E630AE4BCFA.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• 68 S-code GT
    replied
    Steve, whats the name of the stuff by Rustoleum?

Leave a comment:

• SteveLaRiviere
    replied
    I forgot to update with what I learned from this experience.

After a few back and forth emails with Evapo-rust customer service, they said my problem was due to the cadmium coating on the boxes reacting with the solvent. It produces a residue that can be wiped off when still wet, but if it dries it is virtually married to the surface. Resoaking helps loosen it, but in very small increments, so mechanical removal is really the best way to deal with it.

After a lot of time with a scotchbite wheel on my Dremel I finally got them immaculate inside and out and after coating them with clear acrylic I canít believe they look as nice as they do. Itís too bad that they will disappear totally from view once they are installed

In the meantime, a friend referred me to a rust removal chemical from Rustoleum that works excellent and extremely fast, some stuff I soaked looks brand new after only 15 minutes of soaking instead of the 24-48 hours the Evapo-rust seems to need.

Leave a comment:

• SteveLaRiviere
    replied
    Some I can, but I canít get inside the boxed parts. This weekend I plan on buying some different media to try in my parts tumbler.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Can you media blast the part?

Leave a comment:

• SteveLaRiviere
    replied
    Well, after communicating with them on Twitter and by phone, weíve come to the opinion that the solvent probably reacted with lead or cadmium in the metal and the only remedy is more soaking and scrubbing. In the future Iíll be sure to remove items more quickly.

Leave a comment:

• SteveLaRiviere
    replied
    Hereís what they look like. Before I cleaned these parts the residue was thicker than a credit card. An acid to dissolve this residue would be the ideal method.

165540A6-CE11-4BE4-855E-2C44E233FAC5.jpeg

792FDC3B-76D6-4A0B-87BF-82E42FC9A9B3.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• SteveLaRiviere
    replied
    Originally posted by white68stang View Post
    maybe try soaking in evapo rust again to soften it up and the wipe clean??? I've never used it either.
    I tried that today and it does help wipe some off. Iím going to buy some more in the theory that my supply is spent.

Evapo-rust did reply on Twitter and asked me to send pictures. Iíll update you on what they say after I do that.

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied
    Crap, can't hardly see that.

The section of interest: "Note that EvapoRust leaves a gummy yellow residue behind, so don't dunk mechanisms unless you can follow-up by submerging in a gentle solvent."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X