Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vise mounted metal brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vise mounted metal brake

This Eastwood product really tempts me, but I promised myself I was going to slow down on buying unnecessary tools. I might take a shot at making it, though...

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-6-...8nTtPvXoNCYabg
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Probably cheaper at Harbor Freight. Eastwood stuff tends to be overpriced. I bought some of their rust encapsulator one time, gave more for it than a similar can of POR15, and it was so watery it was almost impossible to use. Didn’t last, either. I put POR15 on my Lincoln floors and trunk, it dried hard as a rock and still looks good. I have heard others say most of Eastwood’s stuff was the same as Harbor Freight just a different color.

That tool doesn’t look like it would be too hard to make. Hard thing would be gettin the smooth finish on the knife edge part. If I had a vise, I’d try to make something like that. Vise is on my wish list still.....
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Vises are great, combine it with a stout bench and you can fight the world.

Eastwood used to sell an excellent rust paint, Correless. That stuff was tough, I did the underneath and the floors of my Mach and it’s bulletproof. In fact, when it was at the body shop getting painted they stored my parts inside and even worked it in to pound the many dents in my roof, and when I got it back I fully expected to have to touch it up, but it didn’t even have a scratch. The new stuff they have is thin, like you said, and frustrating to use.

I haven’t had much luck with POR, it peels off like a decal no matter how I treat the surface. Lately I’ve been very happy with rustoleum, especially the red oxide stuff.

Comment

I bought a small vise for my drill press. Lots easier than trying to clamp everything down. I’m going to get a bench vise one of these days, just haven’t done it yet. Probably after I get my car running I can finally rearrange my shop work area.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

For a vise, take my word for it and shop Craigslist or garage sales and get a old one in decent shape. The new stuff is garbage unless you get a real expensive US made one. I have a 35 year old Craftsman that’s has been decent, but the new ones look weak and probably weigh half of what mine does comparing the same size jaws.

Comment

I missed a deal on one that my Pa in law had, it was an old 8" wide jaw Wilton. I think he sold it for about $85 IIRC. He forgot that I said I wanted it.
            I figure a Harbor Freight one will do me no more heavy work that I would use it for, but if I run across a good old used one I'd much rather have a US made one.

Comment

To give you an idea how crappy the new ones are I bought a second one to use here and the base cracked just tightening it to the bench.

Comment

I did a little research yesterday. Doesn't look like I will be buying a new one. Read reviews on Harbor Freight, Irwin, and a few others, all of them are prone to breaking. Some were broken in the box! Not what I'd call reliable! Looked on CL, found a few old Wiltons and some others I've never heard of for about the same price as the new ones, I'll go that route if and when I finally buy one.

Comment

Good names to look for are Reed, Columbia, Wilton, even Craftsman were good if you got an old one. I have a 5” Craftsman that’s taken many beatings by my brother and me for almost forty years now, I would easily buy another one like it. You can tell the good ones just by the cast iron, the old ones are really fine grained but the cheap stuff looks like the cast iron version of styrofoam. The old stuff is heavy, the new stuff you could have your wife pick up at the store with the butter and carton of eggs.

Good tools are like cars and women, you only find the best ones when you aren’t really looking.

Comment

Shop farm auctions if you have anything in your area.
                    Rick Stevens
                    Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
                    - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
                    - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                      This Eastwood product really tempts me, but I promised myself I was going to slow down on buying unnecessary tools. I might take a shot at making it, though...

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-6-...8nTtPvXoNCYabg
                      Do you have a hydraulic press? I would go to a homemade press brake before the Eastwood unit. It looks like it would be a pain to hold the piece in the correct spot and tighten the vise at the same time.
                      Rick Stevens
                      Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
                      - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
                      - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

No, I don’t have a press. I’m just about out of room here. I don’t really bend sheet metal that often, usually when I do I use the jaws of the vise and make brackets by bending them that way. Crude but it works for my purpose.

Comment

I have nearly bought a HF press a couple of times, but I'm low on room, too, and wonder how much I'd really use it.

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                            I have nearly bought a HF press a couple of times, but I'm low on room, too, and wonder how much I'd really use it.
                            Exactly. I have lots of tools I’ve used just once or twice.

Comment

Working...
                            X