Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harbor Freight Pro line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight Pro line

Have any of y'all looked at HF's new Pro Line hand tools? They look to be pretty nice quality to me. I've got some old HF end wrenches that I've had for years, didn't even know about HF when I bought them at a flea market. They have held up well with everything I've thrown at them. I lost a couple of bigger wrenches recently when I left them laying on the truck step, so I need to replace them. 15/16", 1", maybe a 7/8", can't remember right now just which ones it was, but I'm thinking about trying to find a set of the large wrenches, 7/8" to about 1 1/2", for use on the truck. Don't need stuff that big very often, but sure is nice when I'm working on the farm tractor or the truck not to have to use something that doesn't fit good.

I think HF is stepping up their game. Sure, they still have a lot of the use once, throw away stuff, but they have been adding stuff lately that looks as good as Craftsman, but cheaper in price. I think their market will grow if the quality is what it seems to be.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

A couple weeks ago I purchased the Daytona 3 ton professional rapid pump floor jack from HF, so far so good.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ack-64779.html
    Mike & Robin Grentus
    69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
    08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
    00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
    99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
    14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
    M&M Member #- 890
    MCA #- 4549
    My 69 Coupe build album
    http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Pittsburg is the name brand I couldn't think off the other day. Back when I bought them, HF was mostly a mail order bunch advertising in magazines. They were used when I bought them 30 years ago at that flea market. No telling how old they really are.

I need to get a new floor jack myself, just been putting it off. Can't hardly find a US made one anymore, all of them are china now. Last one I bought at WalMart, a little 1.5 ton to use changing tires here at home, lasted through one use, then wouldn't pump anymore. Of course I had done thrown away the receipt so I couldn't take it back. I bought a big long frame 3 ton one used off of craigslist a few years ago, it turned out to be a china HF one, it wouldn't pick up my pickup, although it worked fine the day I bought it. Looked around, nowhere to buy any parts for it, or even a new jack unit, so it sits in the scrap pile, $75 wasted on scrap metal.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Mike65 View Post
        A couple weeks ago I purchased the Daytona 3 ton professional rapid pump floor jack from HF, so far so good.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ack-64779.html
        You see a lot of those at the race track and folks speak highly of them.

I have a couple of ancient Craftsman jacks that have held up over the years. I think one of them is due for some seals.
        Rick Stevens
        Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
        - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
        - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

You see a lot of those at the race track and folks speak highly of them.

I have a couple of ancient Craftsman jacks that have held up over the years. I think one of them is due for some seals.
          I also have an old Craftsman jack that is need of a re-seal. I found a video on you tube on how to re-seal it. I got the Daytona because I needed one & did not have the time to order the seals & do it. That sounds like a summer project. Here is the link to the video of the re-seal.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhAiAQKPgoY
          Mike & Robin Grentus
          69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
          08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
          00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
          99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
          14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
          M&M Member #- 890
          MCA #- 4549
          My 69 Coupe build album
          http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

I think HF is equal to Craftsman these days. You can find a lot of junk in the Craftsman line these days.

If you have to buy a China made tool, you might as well send them as little money as possible, I feel.

HF Icon line supposedly will be competing with Snap-On, which now is making some tools in China too.

This corona virus thing is going to teach companies a lesson about relying on backwards communist nations.
            '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
            My Sprint's restoration progress
            ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

You said a mouthful there Steve! I was on eBay looking for a sound card for my computer, the best prices were direct from China. Wife asked me if I was going to order anything from where the virus was, I told her hell no! I would spend double for one already in the US! I figure it will have been on the boat and in a warehouse long enough that any virus would be dead by now.

I might even use rubber gloves to take it out of the packaging and put it in the computer!

Comment

I've gone through a lot of floor jacks recently. I've gone through 3 Craftsmans and finally gave up on them. I bought a Pittsburgh Steel 3 ton from HF about 3 years ago. That thing has been money. I love it. Caught it on sale and I feel just a little bit guilty. lol
                It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
                '66 Coupe C code
                '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

I'm in need of a new floor jack myself. My current jack is at least 30 years old and was given to me as a gift by my grandfather. Knowing his attitude towards spending money, I am sure it came from either HF or Northern Tool. It's a big ole heavy steel unit. I had to refill the hydro fluid once, but it's been pretty reliable this whole time. However, now the handle no longer lines up correctly with the gears to allow you to tighten or release the valve to allow it to go up or down. I've been using a big screw driver to turn the gear, and that's just not handy at all. LOL
                  I really would like an aluminum jack this time just to make it less of a hassle for taking to the track, but have heard some bad things from racetrack buddies about the 1.5 ton Pittsburgh units they sell at HF. Personally, I would get one bigger than that so it would pick up my dually for changing the tires, or my big trailer when the need arises.
                  Rob Hetzler
                  M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                  Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by GTRocks View Post
                    I've gone through a lot of floor jacks recently. I've gone through 3 Craftsmans and finally gave up on them. I bought a Pittsburgh Steel 3 ton from HF about 3 years ago. That thing has been money. I love it. Caught it on sale and I feel just a little bit guilty. lol
                    Don’t feel guilty, the Craftsman jacks probably came from China too.

I have a HF 3 ton too, it’s been a good jack. Never trust any jack though, no matter who makes it.
                    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                    My Sprint's restoration progress
                    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

I think the only US made jack anymore is a Heim- Warner, if they even are. But you are talking $1000-$1500 for a 3 ton floor jack,yikes! I don’t use one enough for that kind of investment.

Comment

Working...
                      X