Good abrasive glass cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good abrasive glass cleaner?

The back window in the hatch I put on the Firebird has something on it. I dunno what it is, clear paint overspray, some kind of chemical, acid, just don't know. It's like it is dirty, kinda fogged up looking. I tried Windex, it just laughed at it. Tried scraping with a razor blade scraper, I could get just a little residue, but it still looks foggy in places, and it doesn't feel smooth like glass should, you can feel it's got something there, but what ,I don't know. It's not on the whole glass, but about the rear third extending to the edge. Wondering what might be good to try, Comet, Bon Ami, SOS pad? Maybe a scotchbrite pad on my variable speed drill? All wet, of course. I don't want to scratch it, but clean it good.

Any ideas?
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Bon Ami

Comment

Been hard to find the good cleaners lately. Every time we go to the stores, most of the cleaner aisle is empty....

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I’ve had some luck with Autosol and 0000 steel wool. They also have glass polishing kits like this from Eastwood, although you can probably find cheaper kits at glass stores or places like that.

https://www.eastwood.com/glass-polis...ches-5658.html
        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
          I’ve had some luck with Autosol and 0000 steel wool. They also have glass polishing kits like this from Eastwood, although you can probably find cheaper kits at glass stores or places like that.

https://www.eastwood.com/glass-polis...ches-5658.html
          When the body shop coated my entire passenger side window with clear coat over spray, I used 0000 steel wool wet with either glass cleaner or carb cleaner to get it off. I honestly dont remember which one I used. I tried a couple of different combos before I found something that worked.
          Rob Hetzler
          M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
          Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Even 0000 with dish washing liquid can do wonders.
            '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Couldn't find any steel wool last night of any kind, did find a can of AJAX, going to give that a shot.

Comment

Well ,finally got around to trying the AJAX. Didn't faze it a bit, still looks like crap. Gonna try a SOS pad next.

Comment

Working...
                X